Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Rule of thumb >
  • Rule of thumb

• Rule of thumb

Old 02-25-2010, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I use to buy one yard but now I buy at least 3 yards. I want enough for borders if I decide to use it for borders.
    I agree, 3-4 yds if you love it.
    Old 02-25-2010, 04:16 PM

another discussion on this topic:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/search....+fabric+to+buy
    Old 02-25-2010, 04:40 PM

Well have I got a story to tell. My husband was on business in Col. and I spent some time running around all the shops in a 1 hr. driving radius. That was a lot of shops. I bought every piece of fabric I loved in 1 1/2 yd pieces, a lot of it Asian fabric. Later I was taking a class and doing a quilt and one of those pieces of fabric was the ABSOLUTE best for the quilt, except I didn't have enough. I could not find anything else that would give me the look I wanted so I needed to find more. Had to try to remember where I bought it in Col. When I did it had to be next day aired to me at a cost of $18.00 plus the cost of the fabric so I would have it in time for my class. I HAD TO HAVE IT !!!!!! Guess what, there was a big snow storm and the plane didn't take off with my fabric so I never did get it. Moral of the story, BUY ENOUGH OF WHAT YOU LOVE !!!!!
    Old 02-25-2010, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by karielt
    Ok here is a question. If your in a fabric shop you fall in love with a piece of material but you have no plans for it. "How much should you buy?"
    If I really LIKE IT I buy 3 yards..........If I absolutely LOVE IT and it is a color that can be used a lot, I buy between 5 & 6 yards.........I will frequently buy 6 yards of "neutrals" or small print fabrics that read as solids.
    Old 02-25-2010, 04:52 PM

I usually buy 3 yards but sometimes with batiks, that is not enough so I have been known to buy 5 or 6 yards. I would not want to run out and need more.
    Old 02-25-2010, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
    NONE!

NOW I have a rule that if I don't have an idea in mind for the fabric and know approximatly how much I will need I just don't buy it. No matter how bad I think I NEED it just because I "love" it so very much.
    Those(for me) are normally the fabrics that lay around in a "stash" that doesn't get used up.
    Me too! None for me ... I get hives just THINKING about buying $30 worth of fabric and not having a use for it!! LOL I REALLY want to start a stash, but OMG I go into total shock when I walk into the quilt store. I even had an extra $500 coming to me from our tax return and I told myself I am going to stop being a baby and start my stash with it, and when I went into the store, I clammed up, everything was pretty but what if I bought stuff that never really matched anything ..... just.can't.do.it :(

Rachel
    Old 02-25-2010, 06:37 PM

Why has fabrice gotten so expensive? I see a fabric in LQS
    then see it on line for less. Unless I know how I going to use the fabric I don't buy.
    Old 02-25-2010, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by karielt
    That was my thought too because I bought this piece of fabric loved it bought a yard. 3 months later wanted to start a perfect quilt for it and realized I didn't have enough I was short 1/2 yard went back to the store and it was discontinued. It was a Moda fabric. I was heart broken.
    Have you checked ebay for more of your fabric? -- Works for me!
    Old 02-25-2010, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
    My sentiments are pretty much as everyone elses. It depends on the love depth of the material. If I'm infatuated with it 1 yard, deep feelings 2-3, down right absolutely can't live without 3&up. Have large stash!! :oops:
    Thats pretty much how I do it too. Although on occasion
    I have been known to buy the whole bolt.
    Old 02-25-2010, 09:31 PM

If I love it, and it is a focus fabric, I buy three yards so I have borders and enough to piece with.

If the print makes a great backing and is on sale, then I buy 6 yards so I have enough for a twin sized quilt and some piecing.

If it is a great deal and a blender I really like, I buy at least three.

If you have large pieces of fabric for stash and have not used them yet, I find making a two fabric quilt the ideal thing to do. Find an accent color solid and make pinwheels, 9 patches or an Irish chain. Just make sure you cut your borders first so you have a long single piece for each one. White can make a great third color.

When my LQS has a sale on Fusions 7, I buy a bolt of one of my favorite colors because I use them for borders, piecing and backings! Love that fabric!

I always use my coupons at Joanns to buy bolts of kona cotton in favorite (black, red, navy, white) colors for backings or a great white on white.

I only buy FQs on sale and only if I can get 4 of the same design. I tend to lean towards Christmas and Patriotic fabrics for FQs.

Asian fabric is tough for me. I absolutely adore it, and there is so much to choose from, but that is the one type of fabric that I don't seem to work with that is in my stash. Soon.......

Diane

Diane