Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Ruler fold >
  • Ruler fold

• Ruler fold

Old 12-28-2013, 04:50 AM

I also do the lift the one above and pull out. I just am careful - or after a fabric pulling rampage I'll go straighten up (eventually) It is worth the little extra effort to have them ruler folded. It looks so much nicer on my shelves and takes up less room than my old method - and I didn't have to buy anything to do it which is even better.
    Old 12-28-2013, 07:55 AM
    Power Poster

I had to remove the stack and remove the fabric. I have now gone to comic book boards.
    Old 12-29-2013, 04:34 AM

What is a ruler fold?
    Old 12-29-2013, 07:13 AM

I had mine stacked like this but they kept falling over. I ordered 1,000 comic boards online at a good price. After ordering, I was contacted that they made a mistake and wanted to charge me $35 for shipping, which was more than half of the price of the boards, so I told him to cancel the order. I called my local comic book store and asked about comic boards. I asked for a break for ordering 1,000 and they agreed. In the long run, it was cheaper to get them locally, which also helps the local economy. I'm in the process now of folding my fabrics onto the boards, and really like this method because they will stand up nicely on my shelves. My friend ruler folds hers, and she has a thin wooden board that she slips under the fabric just above the one she wants to remove, lifts, then removed the fabric hat she wants out. Once I get all of my fabrics on the boards, I know this will fit my needs better than ruler folding because some of my stacks were pretty tall and would fall over.
    Old 12-29-2013, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by pahega
    What is a ruler fold?
    Glad you asked the question. Hope someone will tell us.
    Old 12-29-2013, 08:57 AM

When you store fabric in drawers, do you line the drawers with anything, or is the fabric just against the wood of the drawer. I can't help but wonder if the wood affects the fabric in any negative way.

Originally Posted by pocoellie
    My fabrics are ruler folded but not stacked on top of each other. My quilting fabrics are in drawers and "laid" in on edge, so that when you open the drawer, you can see all the fabrics and get whichever one you want, without disturbing the rest of the fabrics.
    Old 12-29-2013, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by pahega
    What is a ruler fold?
    This is the way I do it -- fold the salvage edge to the folded edge -- your piece will then be between 8 and 10 inches wide and whatever the length of your fabric is. I use a 6 x 12 inch ruler, place it on the fabric fold the edges of the fabric over the ruler and continue "rolling" the ruler to the end of your piece. Slide the ruler out. You can estimate the yardage you have in each piece as each side will be about 6 inches. Check out the tutorial section of QB - someone did a nice tutorial there.
    Old 12-29-2013, 09:13 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by dunster
    I ruler fold, then store the fabric standing upright with no foam core. If it's packed in relatively closely, it stands up just fine. If it isn't packed closely enough, you need to buy more fabric.
    you are too funny!!!!Buy more fabric!!
    Old 12-29-2013, 10:39 AM

To remove a fold from the stack, you need two rulers. Place one above and the other below the fabric you wish to remove from the stack. Pull your fabric out, remove the rulers; the stack will stay neat and not fall over.
    Old 12-29-2013, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
    I ruler fold, then store the fabric standing upright with no foam core. If it's packed in relatively closely, it stands up just fine. If it isn't packed closely enough, you need to buy more fabric.
    I LIKE how you think!