Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Ruler Suggestion >
  • Ruler Suggestion

• Ruler Suggestion

Old 05-29-2024, 07:04 AM

Default WOW Thank you All

Wow, thank you all so very much for your suggestions and ideas. I'm still learning how to comment to all and just to one person on the forum so please bare with me on this.But I've read all the comments so far and find them helpful. Yeah, I am trying to be selective on what I buy for it to have more than one use and more than one time use. I've been using my 6 1/2 square for my practice 6" finished squares but the 61/2 square is not long enough to go corner to corner to mark center cutting line. Anyway, thank you again for all you for offered, I will take all this in..

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    15" 1/2 inch seam allowance tool, What is that? I may need it.. LOL
    Missouri Star has great sales on their basic rulers and templates. Last week they were 60% off. Always buy on sale.
    LOL So funny Onebyone... And you may not need one but this is what it is:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0873WNN2N...v_ov_lig_dp_it
    Old 05-29-2024, 07:20 AM

Hello WMUTeach, Thank you for the comment and i hope i can explain a little.. Whoa, you have some rulers don't you :-D.. Very cool. I've decided to make my son a queen size quilt (when I get to the point of being able to and buy fabric and all. Some of is will be same colored squares and HST. As you might know the Creative Grids 4-1 triangle has 4 uses to it would be useful for more than one thing.. But I'm not totally set on buying it, I was just saying that (to someone that probably already knows..lol) I've being practicing making 6" finished HST at home away from the quilting group at church I go to, joining those together. The 6 1/2 square doesn't reach all the way across to cut mark the cutting line without moving the square.. anyway.. Again thank you for all the information you shared, look forward to more as we all go along..
    Old 05-29-2024, 07:28 AM
    Power Poster

I use my 3 x 18 or 3.5 x 18.5 ruler quite a bit.

For scraps, I use .h 4 x 8 ruler yhst has an 1/ 8 inchgrid.
    Old 05-29-2024, 08:17 AM
    Power Poster

Seam guide tool - my brain wasn't working. OK I know it as HST marking tool. I have several of them different lengths. I recently started using the Diagonal Tape for sewing HSTs. No marking needed so no ruler needed.
    Old 05-29-2024, 11:57 AM

My 6 1/2 x 24 is a must have. I have 2 of them. I also use the 6 1/2 x 12 a lot. I have 12 1/2, 9 1/2 and 6 1/2 squares that are also essentials for me. I recently acquired 2 two inch squares in a box I bought at an estate sale. They are very cute, but I doubt I'll ever use them.
    Old 06-02-2024, 10:11 AM

To make a lot of HST's the very best method...both most speedy and most accurate....is to use the Triangulations program from Bearpaw Productions. You print out HST sheets on your home computer, sew on the dotted lines, cut apart on the solid lines and voila! a whole bunch of accurate half square triangles in no time at all, no ruler necessary.

I love, love this program and have used it for years. And you can get the digital version for instant download.

https://www.bearpawproductions.com/s...ngulations.htm
    Old 06-02-2024, 10:41 AM
    Power Poster

I use Triangles on a Row paper. I don't have to print them and the paper is easy to remove. Another auction item a friend found for me. A big box full of different size rolls. Got 25 rolls for $5. Funny most people at auctions have no idea of quilting items worth. I shared with my quilting group of course.
    Old 06-02-2024, 01:19 PM

That looks very cool Western Wilson, I may give that a try.. Do you think we're related, I'm a Wils you know

Originally Posted by WesternWilson
    To make a lot of HST's the very best method...both most speedy and most accurate....is to use the Triangulations program from Bearpaw Productions. You print out HST sheets on your home computer, sew on the dotted lines, cut apart on the solid lines and voila! a whole bunch of accurate half square triangles in no time at all, no ruler necessary.

I love, love this program and have used it for years. And you can get the digital version for instant download.

https://www.bearpawproductions.com/s...ngulations.htm
    Old 06-04-2024, 06:53 AM

I also have quite a small selection of rulers but make good use of them all. I've got a 6.5" x 24", a 3" x 18", a 12.5" square, a 6.5" square (my newest ruler to help with the fact that I often work with pretty small pieces) and a 60 degree triangle which I bought to do a stack-and-whack (one block wonder) quilt. So far, the triangle is the only one that's not been used regularly but I am still glad I bought it as I think I'd like to try some more OBW stuff if I ever get my hands on multiple yards of a cool fabric or panel. Like WMU mentioned, I use the diagonal lines on my rulers quite a lot and I would second her advice not to go overboard on buying rulers. Most blocks can be made with basic rulers alone. I've also noticed several people here and in my guild commenting on how many of their rulers get neglected (or put away and "lost") after they have bought them and used them for a single specific project. :-) The more rulers you have, the more you have to find storage space for!