Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Ruler Suggestion >
  • Ruler Suggestion

• Ruler Suggestion

Old 05-28-2024, 05:08 PM

Default Ruler Suggestion

I'm a beginner quilter and I'm also on a budget like many are. I've been considering buying one of 2 tools to add to my kit. I have a 61/2 square, 61/2 x 241/2 ruler a 9" 1/2 inch wide seams allowance tool but I'm trying to make my life easier. I'm considering the 15" 1/2 inch seam allowance tool or a creative grids 4-1 triangle. When I get to the point I want to make my son a queen size quilt with 6" finished size squares and HST. I've seen the video on the 4-1 and making 2 cuts for a finished size seems easier than 4 cuts. So I'm asking please for your thoughts and suggestions.... Thank you so very much. Wils
    Old 05-28-2024, 07:20 PM

You've got the ones I use the most. I don't have any advice on the others.
    Old 05-28-2024, 11:48 PM

My suggestion would be to consider the folded corner clipper tool by Creative Grids. It makes HSTs so easy and accurate without all that drawing of lines or complicated techniques.The corners are already clipped off so there is no trimming and the pieces always match perfectly. Layer the two colors you want to use, cut out the pieces and stitch. Perfect HSTs every time.They make two sizes depending on the final block size you want.https://www.creativegridsusa.com/products/CGRFCCXL
    Old 05-29-2024, 02:13 AM

The length of your long 6.5" ruler really depends on the size of your cutting mat. I have an 18 x 24" mat, so I use a 6.5 x 12.5" ruler. This requires me to fold my fabric twice in order to cut it cross-wise. It's always tricky doing that because if it's not straight of grain, I risk creating strips that are humped in spots. If you can swing it, a larger mat would be great with a 24.5" long ruler. I find the 6.5" square very useful. I don't have a lot of specialized rulers, but I do like having a smaller 3 x 6" ruler. Maybe wait and see on the special ones until you find you need them?
    Old 05-29-2024, 02:29 AM

12 inch square slotted ruler is my go to. Good for strip cutting and squaring up blocks.
    Old 05-29-2024, 02:44 AM
    Administrator

i have a bazillion rulers. my "go to" rulers for triangles are those in the EZ Quilting collection.
    there are other brands that do the same thing but the EZ rulers are easy [to use and on my budget.]
    those are the rulers i started with and they are still usually waaaaaaay less expensive than the other brands.
    Old 05-29-2024, 03:03 AM

I, too, have a small ruler collection. I have a couple of square rulers and a 6.5" by 24", but the one I use the most is 2" by 18". It has a "knob" that makes it easy to grab and 1/8" markings. Definitely added traction gripper stick-ons to the backsides.
    I forgot about the clear 6" by 1/4" ruler that I use a lot.
    Old 05-29-2024, 03:32 AM

You started out with saying that you are a beginning quilter. I would suggest that you not buy extra rulers until you find that you have a purpose for them. You may well discover that the rulers you have can easily serve duel purposes.

You may want to watch for rulers on sale at stores such as JoAnns or other quilt shops. I found a very large square ruler that was more than $50 + at a shop that was going out of business and got it at a HUGE discount. Don't use it often but I loan it out to trusted friends who are in need of that size for extra large blocks. Check resale type shops, garage or estate sales. Become part of a quilting group. Often folks clean out their sewing room or studio and find they have duplicates or rulers they no long use. There is your chance to get an extra ruler at no cost or at low cost.

I have a 2.5 X 6.5, 2.5 X 18 (I use a lot of 2.5 squares) a 6.5 square and a 12.5 square that are used almost daily. Those along with my BIG square are sufficient for me. I also have a couple of variations of rulers for cutting triangles but honestly I seldom use them.(I use the diagonal line on my square rulers. FYI, I never buy rulers that are designed for one quilt project. It is a waste of my $$ if I will not use the ruler for another project. My choice. I would rather spend my money on interesting fabric or an occasional trip to a long arm quilter.

Happy quilting.
    Old 05-29-2024, 03:44 AM

I’m confused by “seam allowance tool”?

As for rulers, I say give it time to see what you really enjoy making. The more skills you gain the more you may want to branch out. Or, you may discover that you prefer the simplicity of basic patterns and never need or use other rulers.
    Old 05-29-2024, 05:32 AM
    Power Poster

15" 1/2 inch seam allowance tool, What is that? I may need it.. LOL
    Missouri Star has great sales on their basic rulers and templates. Last week they were 60% off. Always buy on sale.