Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Rulers - Why to use the same brand for the whole project >
  • Rulers - Why to use the same brand for the whole project

• Rulers - Why to use the same brand for the whole project

Old 11-13-2023, 03:20 PM

I'm with Onebyone - the best rulers IMO are Creative Grids and Quilter's Select.

I had a frosted Olfa that I used to like, until one day I was using it, drawing and doodling with pen and paper. My doodle was sort of maze-like, and the bigger it got, the more off-kilter it became. I took a closer look at the ruler and realized that the print was off by about 2 or 3 threads worth, which doesn't seem like much, but as I said the bigger it got, the worse it became. It was a fairly new ruler, so I returned to the store where I bought it. Every single ruler they had in stock had the same defect!

Another thing to keep in mind is that they DO wear. The ruler I use the most is a 12.5" square, and it became very worn from being rubbed with the rotary cutter. It didn't occur to me that this was a thing until one day, I changed my blade and actually saw the cutter shaving off the acrylic. How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop? I've had that ruler 10+ years and it is definitely worn on the side I cut with the most.