Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Salvaging a quilt-as-you-go gone wrong >
  • Salvaging a quilt-as-you-go gone wrong

• Salvaging a quilt-as-you-go gone wrong

Old 08-22-2020, 08:38 AM

Default Salvaging a quilt-as-you-go gone wrong

Hi all, looking for some advice on salvaging a quilt-as-you-go gone wrong. I quilted the blocks (top quilt, batting and backing) then couldn't get them to go back together again in the QayG method. So now I am trying to salvage this quilt and need help.

I have sewn all my blocks together and pressed the seams open. I am planning to add another layer of batting and backing to help cover the seaming. I was thinking i could quilt the second batting and backing then hand tie the two pieces together. Does this sound reasonable? Is there a better way to go about this? Thank you for any advice or ideas!
    Old 08-22-2020, 08:49 AM

Hello and welcome, Elle. Sorry you are having a hard time with your project. I'm not so good with quilt as you go techniques but I think this is one of those times when a picture is worth a 1000 words and I'm sure we will have some opinions and advice. Sometimes depending on our set-ups, posting a pic can be a series of steps.

We have a pretty good help section here:
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/qb-help-center-f27/

For me mostly I have two issues, my file sizes are too large because I use an old school digital camera with few options, so I reduce and download the images here using their suggested defaults:
    https://www.reduceimages.com/

The other common problem (and just got me today!) is once you have the picture chosen to upload, you need to enlarge the screen to the far top right to actually see and click on the upload button.
    Old 08-22-2020, 08:57 AM
    Power Poster

It doesn't sound like you have gone wrong. You have a couple of choices from this point:
    Sew strips over the seams on the back side, to cover them... OR

Rip out the sewing so the blocks are separate again, and follow instructions for joining from a tutorial. There are many! I made two tutorials (for narrow join and wide join), and posted them here on the board. The 'skinny join' method seems to be the one you might want to use.

Quilt As You Go (QAYG) Tutorial

Old 08-23-2020, 04:30 AM

I would not sew another layer of batting and backing to it. It will end up being a very heavy quilt and it will be difficult to wash and dry something that heavy. I would sew strips of fabric on the backside to cover the seams and raw edges. Use a thread that blends in with the top and it should hide the stitches.
    Old 08-23-2020, 06:30 AM

Welcome to the QB There is so much information to be shared here. I am glad you jumped right in with you questions and hopefully you will get enough response to help you finish your quilt
    It doesn't really sound wrong. It sounds like you need to add another strip and then bind it across to finish the quilt. The other thing would be to take the offending piece off and to do it over. Again welcome to the QB and I for one hope to see a great deal of you here.