Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sampler quilts - - - >
  • Sampler quilts - - -

• Sampler quilts - - -

Old 09-03-2015, 01:39 PM

I'm doing a sampler quilt. At the moment I have 10 blocks done, and used more than 20 different fabrics. In each new block I try to use one or two fabrics that I already used and add new ones.
    Hope you understand me...my English is not very good.
    Old 09-03-2015, 07:40 PM
    Power Poster

I like consistency in color family. Since I prefer sashing between the blocks, the grid is not important to me. It is even fun to have pieced and appliqued blocks in the mix, as well as straight and curved patterns.
    Old 09-03-2015, 08:31 PM
    Power Poster

Sync - love your focus fabric and the colors you used.
    Old 09-03-2015, 08:52 PM

Thanks bearisgray. This swap was started to help those involved to used a piece of fabric that we couldn't bear to cut up. We all sent a square of fabric to the others with any instructions as to size or type of block.
    Old 09-04-2015, 03:32 AM

I love sampler quilts. It gives me variety in technique and overall what I'm doing. I get bored doing the same block over and over again. It does take more time but I'm never in a race to get a quilt done. I just enjoy the journey.

I've done them both ways - keeping the same color pallet and making them scrappy. This time of year I'm doing Row by Row and this year all my rows have the same color pallet but each are different. Last year with the seasons theme they were more different.
    Old 09-04-2015, 07:47 AM

Here is one I LOVE from Kimberly Einmo class on Craftsy. I could never figure out how to get in all the different sizes. I used a fabric line from V & Co.
    Attached Thumbnails 041-234x300-.jpg  
    Old 09-04-2015, 08:34 AM

Have made only one sampler quilt....or what I considered a "sampler". It's all red and white, different fabrics and different blocks but all blocks the same size. It's very asymmetrical, which should bother me since I'm a symmetrical kind of person, but I like it. I wanted to experiment with different kinds of blocks AND I wanted to make an all red and white quilt. I don't think I posted a photo here but it's been awhile so not sure. It's still not quilted....in fact, it still lacks a final border. Someday......
    Old 09-04-2015, 05:57 PM

my guild has a class every winter to stretch our skills and they are always samplers. I told one of the ladies that does them that "no more for me" as I'm not huge fan of samplers and frankly do a bad job on them in class--we always have super complex blocks and guess I just don't focus like I would at home. Plus while I have tons of designs I can use on quilting them, I like more wide open spaces. I do like them to be color coordinated blocks, or if scrappy, some unifying color in background, etc.
    Old 09-04-2015, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by RN-Quilter
    Sometimes I like 'same' quilts.....its predictability is soothing.
    And other times I like quilts with different block-sizes....
    What I like the most is that since I started quilting 5yrs ago, I have not been bored with any quilt!!
    That was my biggest complaint when I was sewing everything else and dressmaking. How boring quilting looked. Have been into it seriously the past two years and love it. My first sampler was a bunk bed quilt with various HST blocks. I don't care for mini quilts but lap sized are fun.
    Old 09-04-2015, 08:21 PM

i like some of them. and i feel like making one is a passage of sorts, like a log cabin or astar quilt ofsome kind. every quilter usually does one you know?

i always thought it would be cool to choose some fabrics and keep them just for test blocks. instead of a drawer full of orphan blocks, over time you'd have a sampler of all the blocks you tested through the years, a catalogue of your quilting projects.

i have tried to lay my orphan blocks out with a mind to a scrappy sampler, but it just looks like the iorphan drawer exploded, really

aileen