Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sandwich! >
  • Sandwich!

• Sandwich!

Old 12-13-2010, 06:34 PM

OK....so I am still new to quilting. Finished putting together (looks pretty good!), and now it's on to the sandwiching....my problem is that I have sautillo tile on all floors (Mexican tile) which is not really flat like most tiles. Plus I get dizzy getting up and down (I'm dizzy anyway!). Any other suggestions as to how to get this done?
    Love this site....everyone is so helpful. Thanks in advance...
    Old 12-13-2010, 06:37 PM

Have you got a large table you could use? Or maybe borrow? I use my bed when I can't get on the floor. I use large sheets of foamboard to put under my quilt when I am pinning. Most of the time I use spray baste and it works great.
    Old 12-13-2010, 06:41 PM

I bought three 6 foot tables at Menards that I have all 3 set up together into one big table. This makes for a very nice large work space for cutting fabric, laying out blocks, etc. I used to do the floor thing, too, but it is so much easier to work at a table. The tables cost $40 each regular price but do come on sale sometimes. They ahve legs that fold in for storing but they do not fold in the middle. I have seen 6 foot tables that fold in the middle but I tend to think that they may eventually sag inthe middle--but that could just be my imagination! Good luck with whatever you come up with.
    Old 12-13-2010, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by aborning
    I bought three 6 foot tables at Menards that I have all 3 set up together into one big table. This makes for a very nice large work space for cutting fabric, laying out blocks, etc. I used to do the floor thing, too, but it is so much easier to work at a table. The tables cost $40 each regular price but do come on sale sometimes. They ahve legs that fold in for storing but they do not fold in the middle. I have seen 6 foot tables that fold in the middle but I tend to think that they may eventually sag inthe middle--but that could just be my imagination! Good luck with whatever you come up with.
    :-) I have a couple of folding tables your talking about, they hold up realy well. I also do jewelry and have all sort of filing cabinets (Small for gems, stones and such) then I have my tools and so on. Very sturdy and no sagging...so far but I've had them up for like 3 years now. Well worth the money.

(Menards..I haven't heard that since I left the North, then I look to see where you're from and yeppers..Minnesota!) :-P
    Old 12-13-2010, 06:51 PM

I'm dizzy, too. Have you tried a big bed?
    Old 12-13-2010, 07:15 PM

How about using a wall?
    Old 12-13-2010, 08:19 PM
    Cyn

Yea there was a site on using a wall in the last couple days.
    Old 12-13-2010, 09:39 PM

check out Sharon Schamber's pinless basting on utube. or google the above and she gives a fantastic tutorial on pinless basting. I can't get down on the floor so I bought the boards and I find it great. I don't like to pin as it hurts my hands so this is perfect. I find it doesn't take any more time to pinless baste as it did to pin. Hope this helps. Lylamarie
    Old 12-14-2010, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by lylamarie
    check out Sharon Schamber's pinless basting on utube. or google the above and she gives a fantastic tutorial on pinless basting. I can't get down on the floor so I bought the boards and I find it great. I don't like to pin as it hurts my hands so this is perfect. I find it doesn't take any more time to pinless baste as it did to pin. Hope this helps. Lylamarie
    Yes indeedye, I use this method because I cant get up and down either. I do sew with her herringbone method for the bastimg. Try it, you'll like it :lol:
    Old 12-14-2010, 03:22 PM

I use my dining room table and put the table pad on upside down, so that the flannel type back is up. Than I can put the quilt backing onto it and smooth it. With the flannel pad backing, it holds it in place so it doesn't wrinkle. I baste with needle and thread, but you could use safety pins because with the table pad on it won't scratch your table.