Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sandwich trouble >
  • Sandwich trouble

• Sandwich trouble

Old 11-23-2011, 09:19 PM

There is a nifty tool called a Kwik Klip Basting Tool. When I first saw it I though it was stupid, after all I can close a safety pin just fine, thank you very much! But then I discovered, like you did, that you can't get your hand under there, and my fingers were getting very sore. Once I tried the tool, I was sold!
    You hold the safety pin in your dominant hand, poke it through the fabric, and holding the Kwik Klip in the other hand, when the point of the safety pin comes back out the top of the fabric, you use the Kwik Klip to fasten the pin. Easy peasy! You can see it here: http://www.andicraftsquilting.com/sh...sting-Tool.htm
    Old 11-24-2011, 04:24 AM

I'm going to try to find the book you suggested -- Hand Quilt without a Frame by Barbara Schaffeld
    Old 11-26-2011, 08:41 AM

I have a Dritz cutting table that I use. I find the center of the table and the center of the quilt and match them up, then start pinning or hand-basting. I use clamps to secure the quilt sandwich while I'm basting/pinning.
    Old 11-26-2011, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by AndiR
    There is a nifty tool called a Kwik Klip Basting Tool. When I first saw it I though it was stupid, after all I can close a safety pin just fine, thank you very much! But then I discovered, like you did, that you can't get your hand under there, and my fingers were getting very sore. Once I tried the tool, I was sold!
    You hold the safety pin in your dominant hand, poke it through the fabric, and holding the Kwik Klip in the other hand, when the point of the safety pin comes back out the top of the fabric, you use the Kwik Klip to fasten the pin. Easy peasy! You can see it here: http://www.andicraftsquilting.com/sh...sting-Tool.htm
    I agree! I have a Kwik Klip and love it for when I'm basting a quilt!
    Old 11-26-2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by jhoward
    Anyone remember from the "old days", the simple quilting frames? Using "one by" boards, length to be determined by the quilt size. 4 boards in a square, at the intersections use wood clamps to hold in place. The backing can be tacked to the boards tightly. Then layer the backing and top. I have tied a quilt in this manner. I have my husband's grandma's frame like this. Works very well. ( I hope I have explained this that is understandable.)
    Oh, yes, I remember! My grandma almost always had her frame set up in the living room on the farm, and then in the living room when she an Grandpa moved to town. My sister now has the joy of that old quilt frame, and when I visit next summer, it would be fun to put a quilt on to tie! My mom also had such frame. Good memories!
    Old 11-26-2011, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by jojo47
    I agree! I have a Kwik Klip and love it for when I'm basting a quilt!
    Eleanor Burns used a grapefruit spoon to close the safety pins. The spoons work well.