Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sandy Hook Elementary School - 700 blankets needed right away - FILLED already >
  • Sandy Hook Elementary School - 700 blankets needed right away - FILLED already

• Sandy Hook Elementary School - 700 blankets needed right away - FILLED already

Old 12-17-2012, 02:19 PM

Why does the town need blankets?There are starving and cold children that really need them.....
    Old 12-17-2012, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I'd do anything I can to help the families of that town. I don't understand though why the town needs blankets.
    It's the security and huggles that the children and parents get from them. The quilts I give to our local hospital say they are so treasured that if the saddest thing happens the Child may be buried in it or the parents have it as a grieving blanket. The comfort that a quilt gives has no value as it is priceless.

BTW Reply for Mary - Project Linus

"Dear Joan,
    Thank you for your e-mail and your kind offer for memory quilts for the children. Project Linus will be giving blankets to each of the children in the school - those blankets are already on their way (as you already know).

I'm not sure how to go about contacting families concerning the memory quilts. You may want to wait a bit and then contact the school or the district after things have calmed down with your idea to see if there would be an interest in this project.

Thank you again,
    Mary"
    Old 12-17-2012, 02:34 PM

I am also not understanding why they need 700 blanketa or a blanket...maybe a memory blanket from a friend or family member.
    Old 12-17-2012, 02:44 PM
    Power Poster

I figured maybe all the children in the school and for those who perished in this aweful tradgey(?)their family members.
    but that still is approx 400-425 quilts.
    Memory quilts and pillows are a great tool for healing. Id be willing to help in that area too.
    A pillow or bear would be nice. I do bears for feiends and family members.
    Old 12-17-2012, 02:55 PM

When a child is hurting emotionally, a quilt can give comfort.

Every child in that community is hurting, weather they went to that school or another. They relate to the fact that could have been them. Maybe it was a friend or a cousin. The entire community is greiving.
    Old 12-17-2012, 02:57 PM

I mentioned this to my husband and he said....why would the students want a blanket to remember the horror of what happen to their friends and teachers. I have to agree with him...
    Old 12-17-2012, 03:12 PM

I was a little surprised to see the posts about "why do they need blankets?" I keep thinking about that questions and this is my thought. Why NOT? As I understand it...there was a request and the need was met within the hour...That is a blessing in itself. If we are able to do abundantly above and beyond the need...then thank you for doing it.

If you are seeing homeless or unfortunate children that also have a need I hope you will take the initiative to ask for help for those children too. I think you can contact Project Linus with your needs as well as your giving. But certainly here on this board...I see donation request and volunteers meeting those needs often! I thank God for all of you who have or will give...as it presents itself. So just as one who is impressed by the generosity of this board - Thanks!
    Old 12-17-2012, 04:09 PM
    Power Poster

I agree it doesn't matter but wondering why blankets were needed so urgently.
    Old 12-17-2012, 05:52 PM

I don't think it was a matter of urgently needing the blankets. It was a matter of Project Linus asking local chapters if they had any to send. The response was quickly met in less than an hour. It's my understanding that Project Linus gives quilts to children who are ill, homeless, TRAUMATIZED. Certainly all the children in that school district were traumatized. I assumed from the Project Linus post I read that there are 700 children in that district and everyone of them has to be thinking it could have been their school.
    Old 12-17-2012, 06:01 PM

When the unthinkable happens to a member or members of your family, it can seem like there is nothing but evil left in this world. Receiving a blanket for some can be seen not as a reminder of the horrific event, but as tangible proof that there is still good in this world. That someone would give to you a stranger, something that they created in the hope it will help to give you peace and comfort when your world has completely changed in a moment. In the giving the giver can feel like they did something for someone else who is suffering, instead of saying how terrible it is. I'm thankful that so many quilters can find it in their hearts to provide quilts for so many who are hurting in our country; our vets, kids, tornado and hurricane victims to name a few.