Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • SASE for Canadians? >
  • SASE for Canadians?

• SASE for Canadians?

Old 09-21-2010, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    I am confused, we use stamps for our SASE. You can't use any kind of metered mail because it has a date on it, and if the dates don't match up to the date being sent it sends up a red flag and the post office won't send it. So, I just assume you address your envelope and put USA stamps on it, but I could be waaaay off base.
    Hi Sadiemae,
    You can't buy another countries postage in your own country, and it usually costs more to mail to another country. I could probably pay a board member to buy me some US stamps and mail them to me, but I would still have to know how much extra it would cost the person to mail it to me in Canada compared to how much it would be to mail to someone in the USA. For example it costs about 54 cents to mail a regular letter in Canada, but about $1.05 for me to mail a regular letter from Canada to a friend in the US.
    Clear as mud? I've been getting quite an education in postage since I joined the board and (good news/bad news) discovered the swaps and the classified section! LOL
    Old 09-21-2010, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by quilt queen 2
    I just found out we (Canadians) can open up a US bank account here and then send a cheque or money order from the bank. The money order can also be traced. This is a saving as I have been paying $5.50 to get a $10.00 money order at the post office. Hope this info helps
    Hi Quiltqueen,
    How do you go about doing that? I'd be interested. Money orders are horribly expensive here, aren't they. PayPal has been a lot cheaper, but the bank account sounds interesting too.
    Thanks!
    Old 09-21-2010, 10:20 AM

You just go to the bank and ask to open a US account you pay the exchange if you are using Canadian dollars. You can use this account for cheques or money orders to US . The only thing is do US banks charge a fee to cash these? I'm going to try and find out today. In Canada if you are a senior there is no charge for this.So we all need to find trusty senior friends!
    Old 09-21-2010, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Aully
    I do have a Paypal account, I use it lots. lol! I do have USA stamps. The adds I read only have an address for them no other information. Can I just include the smae sized envelope with a stamp on it? Would I just put on a Canadian stamp?
    you can't put a Canadian stamp on it.... its weird if you send a self addressed envelope to a company in canada they can use a US stamps (they don't have a set international rate) to get it back but you can't do the same for a us company with a US stamp.... I looked into it for wedding invitations last November.
    Old 09-21-2010, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Aully
    I do have a Paypal account, I use it lots. lol! I do have USA stamps. The adds I read only have an address for them no other information. Can I just include the smae sized envelope with a stamp on it? Would I just put on a Canadian stamp?
    You should not put Canadian stamps on mail that will originate from another country. Most swap hostesses or sellers will buy the postage if you send them the money for it. Always check before purchasing or joining.