Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sash-ing a four letter word! >
  • Sash-ing a four letter word!

• Sash-ing a four letter word!

Old 01-19-2014, 11:08 AM

Here is a very good sashing tutorial without cornerstone, use your own measurenents
    http://www.ohfransson.com/oh_fransso...-top.html#more
    Old 01-19-2014, 11:46 AM
    Power Poster

I don't use cornerstones and have a simple technique for getting sashing to line up perfectly.

(1) Sew the short strips between blocks to form rows. (2) Add a long sashing strip to the bottom of the first row. (3) Before adding the next row, turn that first strip to the wrongside. Use a ruler and pencil to extend the seam lines all the way through that long sashing strip. These pencil lines become your "virtual" seam lines to match up with the next row. (4) Pin the second row to the long sashing strip, matching seam lines with virtual seam lines. When you sew, ease or stretch as necessary to make sure the real and virtual seam lines match. (5) Repeat with subsequent rows.

This is very simple to do, fast, and ensures that your blocks and sashing do not end up wonky!

Edit: The pencil lines replace the seam lines created by cornerstones. Cornerstones are another way to get blocks to line up correctly, but they do change the look of the quilt. When you just want sashing, the pencil method is the way to go.
    Old 01-19-2014, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
    Edit: The pencil lines replace the seam lines created by cornerstones. Cornerstones are another way to get blocks to line up correctly, but they do change the look of the quilt. When you just want sashing, the pencil method is the way to go.

This is very true. I made several scrappy 9 patch quilts using simple sashing. I've got another one put together, but this time using sashing and cornerstones, and I think when it's all said and done, I'm not going to like it quite as much as the unbroken line of color of simple sashing.
    Old 01-19-2014, 12:35 PM

I go about sashing completely differently. I sash each block individually, then sew the blocks together. So if I want my sashing to finish at 3" wide, I'll cut it at 2" (finished width divided by 2, then add seam allowances) and sew it on all four sides of the block. Then sew the blocks together, matching seams, and I end up with a 3" sashing where all my blocks are lined up perfectly.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]457460[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails 4.jpg  
    Old 01-19-2014, 02:33 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by justflyingin
    This is very true. I made several scrappy 9 patch quilts using simple sashing. I've got another one put together, but this time using sashing and cornerstones, and I think when it's all said and done, I'm not going to like it quite as much as the unbroken line of color of simple sashing.
    I made a quilt that was all squares, very geometric. The sashing was all one color, but the blocks had to line up perfectly. I finally wound up making the sashing & cornerstones out of the same fabric. Kind of dumb, but it did keep everything in line.
    Old 01-19-2014, 07:47 PM

Here's another helpful video. ENJOY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sa-H...fe54epWO1aXRme
    Old 01-19-2014, 09:43 PM

I have not used sashing in my quilts because I am worried they will be incorrect. I am interested in these tips too.
    Old 01-20-2014, 04:40 AM

Thanks for the wonderful tips. I have struggled with sashing and this really gives me some good pointers on getting things to line up. I learn so much from this site.
    Old 01-20-2014, 05:06 AM
    Power Poster

I do it the way Tartan does it and it seems to work for me. Hope you are able to find help with your problem.
    Old 01-20-2014, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
    I don't use cornerstones and have a simple technique for getting sashing to line up perfectly.

(1) Sew the short strips between blocks to form rows. (2) Add a long sashing strip to the bottom of the first row. (3) Before adding the next row, turn that first strip to the wrongside. Use a ruler and pencil to extend the seam lines all the way through that long sashing strip. These pencil lines become your "virtual" seam lines to match up with the next row. (4) Pin the second row to the long sashing strip, matching seam lines with virtual seam lines. When you sew, ease or stretch as necessary to make sure the real and virtual seam lines match. (5) Repeat with subsequent rows.

This is very simple to do, fast, and ensures that your blocks and sashing do not end up wonky!

Great advice! I discovered this and the need for the pencil/ruler markings when making my little chicken attic windows quilt and adding a long row of sashing. Without those seam "extensions" in pencil, your quilt can certainly get crooked or wonky.