Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • saving favorite fabric >
  • saving favorite fabric

• saving favorite fabric

Old 10-04-2010, 10:14 AM

my family tells me that when I die they're selling my machine collection & stash to the lowest bidder. EEEEK! :cry:
    Old 10-04-2010, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by jprusky
    Heck, that's the major problem I have. If I'd only "unlove" the fabric, I might get some quilting done.

Judy
    Oh, Judy, Judy. You have hit the nail on the head. I have been trying so hard this summer to get my brain around that very subject. It's pretty darn hard to do, though.
    Old 10-04-2010, 06:29 PM

I have some flour sack fabric that i've never used. When I had to store some of my fabric recently I was going through these pieces & the thought occurred to me that it would probably rot & I wouldn't be able to enjoy it anymore, so it's now in my to-be-used stash. I haven't quite decided how to use it, but something will come up one of these days soon.
    Old 10-05-2010, 08:46 AM
    Banned

use it for something FOR YOU ,you can't take it with you ,there are no pockets in shrouds!!!
    Old 10-05-2010, 08:51 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Margie
    I sure do...a lot of them. I just cant seem to cut into them. However, who says you have to? Do stamp collectors use their stamps to pay bills?
    This really made me smile, my husb is a stamp collector and early in marriage was desperate for a stamp to post a letter---SO- knew he kept his spare stamps around I used one from a book------------OH DEAR!!! it was one of the collection!!!!
    Old 10-05-2010, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by mayday
    Originally Posted by Margie
    I sure do...a lot of them. I just cant seem to cut into them. However, who says you have to? Do stamp collectors use their stamps to pay bills?
    This really made me smile, my husb is a stamp collector and early in marriage was desperate for a stamp to post a letter---SO- knew he kept his spare stamps around I used one from a book------------OH DEAR!!! it was one of the collection!!!!

He let you live to tell the tale??? I understand his point of view. I used to be a stamp collector too.
    :shock:
    Old 10-05-2010, 06:26 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
    Yeah, only about a hundred yards....

:lol: and :oops:
    ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Old 10-07-2010, 05:27 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by patdesign
    Originally Posted by Mousie
    Originally Posted by jodimarie
    I too am a fabric horder....there I admited it!! but one day my daughter came up to me and asked me when I was going to use one of my many favorites. Well, imangine my surprise when she told me....you know when you are gone, I'm having a garage sale and it is all going for a quarter!! That made me stop and think....why am I saving this fabric when I too could be enjoying snuggling up under a beautiful quilt.

I read the posts about people going to yard sales and finding the ''mother load'' of goodies and I don't want my favorites to end up someplace ''icky''....vbg!! but lining my casket is an idea!!
    ahhh! shuddder the thought....my PRECIOUS...being sold like a common street waif...for a quarter???
    I WILL have to muster some courage and use it. I can't let it live a wasted life, locked away...somehow, I must find a way...
    I have three daughters that like quarters more than quilts!!! :shock:
    when you cant bear to cut make it the central feature of a lap quilt and bind it up with a co-ordinating fabric you love, then use it to snug yourself as you watch TV etc and ENJOY!
    Now, you just might be onto something! I could frame it in the center of my quilt. So it's not cotton. I won't tell if you don't ;)
    Old 10-07-2010, 05:31 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by patdesign
    Originally Posted by applique
    Can you imagine the comments when the undertakers association starts comparing notes and there are suddenly a zillion requests for favorite quilt fabric liners for coffins????
    I literally laughed out loud!!! Just too funny for words!
    hey....now that you mention it...I really would like to have um, you know if I just have to go anyway...my liner made from quilt blocks.
    That would be a very fitting send off...sure to be cozy ;)
    Old 10-07-2010, 05:33 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by madamekelly
    I had a piece of silver and aqua silk brocade that I carried around various moves over ten years, because I could not cut into it. I would just pet it and try to dream up a way to use it that was 'worthy' of such a gem. When I left Texas, to return to Oregon, A lovely Japanese friend was helping me pack, and she found it. She held it and cried in the middle of my floor. It was very old you see, and it reminded her of 'home'. She is happily wearing it as a dress for special occasions. I never knew I was saving it for that moment. I regret nothing. Sometimes, ya just gotta say "What the heck, here!" ( I would probably still be carrying it around anyway, I'm just too timid to risk ruining that much silk. I'm glad she wasn't)
    awww! now, in a case like that, yes, I could let go.
    What a wonderful story! :-D