Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Saving my pennies for a Bernina 750QE or Pfaff Creative Performance? >
  • Saving my pennies for a Bernina 750QE or Pfaff Creative Performance?

• Saving my pennies for a Bernina 750QE or Pfaff Creative Performance?

Old 10-05-2013, 08:01 PM

I went to a Bernina dealer today to test the sewing machine for FMQ/BSR. I am in love, I tried out the Bernina 750QE, the FMQ was so controlled!! I really think this is a very good machine, solid, has the larger harp area etc. I really made the salesman work for me, he showed me how to use and I tried everything. I am going to get one somehow!! Has anyone ever bought one from the UK? The prices sure are good!!! I sent an email to one of the dealers in the UK, when I find out anything about it I will post the info. I found my machine, now I just have to figure out how to get it!
    Old 10-06-2013, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by debbiemarie
    I went to a Bernina dealer today to test the sewing machine for FMQ/BSR. I am in love, I tried out the Bernina 750QE, the FMQ was so controlled!! I really think this is a very good machine, solid, has the larger harp area etc. I really made the salesman work for me, he showed me how to use and I tried everything. I am going to get one somehow!! Has anyone ever bought one from the UK? The prices sure are good!!! I sent an email to one of the dealers in the UK, when I find out anything about it I will post the info. I found my machine, now I just have to figure out how to get it!
    It's a mystery to me how sewing machines are similar in price to the US and often cheaper, particularly when fabric is so expensive! Fabric in LQS is $20-$22 a metre (39"). If we shop around on line we can sometimes get for $12/$13 . We pay about 2 or 3 times the US price for notions too.

The best price I can find for the Bernina 750QE is £2,695.00, which at today's exchange rate is around $4,300. On top of that you would have to pay shipping and possibly import costs. The electrical socket and voltage would be different so you would have to check compatibility. Another, more important consideration imho, is that you wouldn't have any back-up from a local dealer if it were faulty........................
    Good luck!
    Old 10-06-2013, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Knitette
    It's a mystery to me how sewing machines are similar in price to the US and often cheaper, particularly when fabric is so expensive! Fabric in LQS is $20-$22 a metre (39"). If we shop around on line we can sometimes get for $12/$13 . We pay about 2 or 3 times the US price for notions too.

The best price I can find for the Bernina 750QE is £2,695.00, which at today's exchange rate is around $4,300. On top of that you would have to pay shipping and possibly import costs. The electrical socket and voltage would be different so you would have to check compatibility. Another, more important consideration imho, is that you wouldn't have any back-up from a local dealer if it were faulty........................
    Good luck!
    I get what you are saying, there's a risk!! The plug is not a problem, a converter is about $70. I came up with the same price $4300, the best price I can get here is $6000. The dealer I visited said he could give me 20% off the $7500 price tag = $6000. The difference is $1700, I don't know if that's enough to take the risk or not. I don't know how much shipping and port costs would be? I am thinking of bringing all this up to the dealer I visited and see if he can give me a greater discount to entice me to buy from him, I don't even know if he can do that or not. Anyone have any thoughts that would help?
    Old 10-07-2013, 01:10 AM

It is definitely an advantage to buy locally. You will get much better service. After all the time he spent demonstrating the machine, I bet you could work out a deal with him without holding anything over his head. Perhaps shop around other dealers in US. I think most dealers dont like competing with each other for the same machine
    . Also they may have rules to not sell out of their territory. You may want to look at other machines. The BabyLock Crescendo is a wonderful quilting machine. From Bernina owners I know, they say the BSR isnt all that great or needed after awhile. The one thing I dont like about Bernina other than their accessories are outrageous is they tend to come out with a new machine instead of making improvements on existing machines. I had one that was the newest and greatest and was nothing but trouble. It was soon discontinued and I was stuck with a machine that could no longer be serviced and was nearly worthless for a trade in. Switched over to Janome and Baby Lock. Bernina has always been known as reputable and superior, but there are many more quality machines out there now. Shop around then use that as leverage with the Bernina dealer. He cant compete with foreign sales but can with other local dealers.

Last edited by snipforfun; 10-07-2013 at 01:16 AM.
    Old 10-07-2013, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by AChristina
    I have the Bernina 750QE and haven't found it to be fussy at all (but what machine brands don't have their quirks). I use thread from Connecting Threads all the time and never a problem. I also use it on a 10' Bernina quilting frame with QuiltMotion. Love it! There are a couple of quirks with the QuiltMotion and that could be the QuiltMotion software, but my dealer has relayed those to Bernina and they are definitely on it. Have only used the BSR a couple of times and it worked like it was supposed to. Very well built, heavy and love the larger harp space. My dealer is very willing to work with me and has also asked my advice on how to use the QuiltMotion, lol. You can also add the embroider unit to the 750 QE it's an optional package. I plan on getting that maybe later this year. If you're not interested in embroidery, you may want to check out the 710. My sister-in-law has that one and she loves it too. Bernina has some great deals going this week.
    Be sure to check to see if the 710 has the BSR if you are wanting one.
    Old 10-07-2013, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by debbiemarie
    I get what you are saying, there's a risk!! The plug is not a problem, a converter is about $70. I came up with the same price $4300, the best price I can get here is $6000. The dealer I visited said he could give me 20% off the $7500 price tag = $6000. The difference is $1700, I don't know if that's enough to take the risk or not. I don't know how much shipping and port costs would be? I am thinking of bringing all this up to the dealer I visited and see if he can give me a greater discount to entice me to buy from him, I don't even know if he can do that or not. Anyone have any thoughts that would help?
    The sewing dealer from the UK answered my email today, I see problems with buying the machine in UK that can not be overcome. They did say they would give me the american plug to fit our style plugs, but the Bernina warranty will be in the UK, so if I need repair I would have to send it overseas- which would take weeks or even months to have done, plus all the wear and tear with shipping and handling- I would also have to pay the shipping charges!! That was the final straw, guess I am not getting a machine from the UK.
    Old 10-07-2013, 07:36 PM

don't forget to faction in the cost of extra feet - if you have the Elna and purchase either the Bernina or Pfaff, you'll not be able to use any of your Elna feet. Another option is a Janome or another Elna - for both you can use feet you have now. I just upgraded from the Elna Eleanor Burns Quilter's Dream to a Janome 8900 QCP and love it.
    Old 10-08-2013, 08:54 AM

Good point! although I only have a few Elna feet, but they are less expensive than Bernina for Janome. I tried FMQ on the Janome 8900, didn't like it as much as the Bernina- but the cost of the Bernina?!&@?? What I love about the Bernina is the BSR, the stitch quality the bias tapefoot, love all the creative stitches, LOVE LOVE the 80% larger bobbin. I don't think I would ever get another Elna, I struggled with the tension the entire time I used it- 37 years. I wore it completely out only because I didn't even think of buying another machine, ha, the thought never entered my mind!
    Old 10-08-2013, 08:34 PM

I visited another Bernina dealer today, he gave me a deal I couldn't resist, I got extras and 0% financing. I am so excited, now comes the hard part figuring it out!! Their is so much to learn, I spent about 3 hours tonight, so far I can sew a straight line, when I try to sew with the 1D and dual feed, the thread keeps tangling in the bobbin, ugh! I did figure out how to thread and change the pressure feet, couldn't get it to thread the needle automatically. I have classes to go to starting on Saturday, I hope I make new friends at the classes too. Jumping for joy!!!
    Old 10-08-2013, 10:53 PM

I'm glad you got the machine you wanted. I feel that if your heart was set on it and you bought something else you have forever regretted it. Enjoy it and good luck with your lessons