Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • saving scraps...how small is too small? >
  • saving scraps...how small is too small?

• saving scraps...how small is too small?

Old 02-23-2016, 05:42 AM

I save almost everything. I got the second place ribbon for viewers choice for my crazy crumb quilt. Started in the middle with a 5 sided black piece and added all around until it was 8.5 inches. Sashed that with black with 2 inch corner stones made of at least 3 pieces. Some were 8 to 11 pieces. Border pieces were a 1/2 inch strip pieced in many shades of red, then 6 inch piano keys of various widths, all pieced. I used what I had.

I try to save things flat. Strips go into a long candle box and other things go into boxes in such a manner that they do not get too wrinkled. Makes going back to use them much more soothing.

I will save even 1/2 inch pieces if they are an outstanding color. When working with such small stuff, I use 1/8 inch seams. I've made at least 3 confetti quilts using trash fabric for the foundation. No tearing of paper. Old bed sheets, bed skirts, thin fabric, etc. work for the foundation pieces. I have a box for those pieces in "The Closet".
    Old 02-23-2016, 05:42 AM

Personally I don't keep anything smaller than 2 1/2" square. I do keep selvages, not just the dots, sort by color and cut 1" wide to use for paper foundation blocks. Everything else goes in the trash or a pillowcase for dog beds.
    Old 02-23-2016, 05:48 AM

I cut down my batiks to 2 1/2 square, 2 square and 1 1/2 square. I save any odd shapes for mini log cabins made from 1/4 inch graph paper. When I get too many, I reach a hand in and toss a few. My printed scraps, I usually put on the free table at Guild. I never seen to make those printed ones into scrappys.
    Old 02-23-2016, 06:25 AM

Well, I keep it all. The smallest pieces, I use for stuffing teddy bears, and other projects that get stuffed. I then sort from 1 1/2" pieces, 1", 2", and so forth. I love to make pillows and this comes in handy for the decorative ones. I do have to make at least 1 per month. This is okay. My DD is getting a new place and always seams to need something made. If it is something no one needs, I sell it. So save those small pieces, if you can.
    Old 02-23-2016, 06:56 AM

I save all my scraps for practicing making landscape quilts. I have even been thinking of cutting 2 1/2 in squares to had piece a scrappy quilt. I love doing handwork. But I think if the scraps you have overwhelm you, I know there are people on this board that would just love scraps of any size because they have limited funds to buy fabric. Just ask on the board and you will get people who want your scraps. Some times I just want to make a small wall quilt and smaller scraps come in handy. But it's all what you want to work with. No one should feel bad that they don't keep every tiny little piece. Donate them to someone who could use them and don't stress about scraps.
    Old 02-23-2016, 08:29 AM

carolaiken said exactly what I would do. I threw a lot of fabric pieces. The problem I have is I leave the scraps in a bag far to long. I want it together incase I want to make something matching, pillowcase, table runner etc. Now, I have all these bags and small, clear, plastic shoe boxes. I am not good at organizing. I usually keep too much.
    Old 02-23-2016, 08:38 AM

It depends very much on your style of quilting. If you don't like scrappy quilts, you probably aren't going to get a lot of value out of saving every little offcut.

I make foundation-pieced crazy quilts (sewing fabric scraps down to squares of thin muslin or salvaged sheets), so I can use virtually ANY size of scrap. If a scrap is really small but also very precious I'll go ahead and just topstitch it down and let it be a little frayed or go over the edges with decorative stitches - for my scrappy style that works just fine...it's just a little added texture!

So I save pretty much everything. The really itty-bitties (like trimmings) and all my batting scraps end up in pet beds - it takes me roughly a year to fill one up and I have 3 dogs and 2 cats so that works out well.
    Old 02-23-2016, 09:50 AM
    Power Poster

Instead of saving scraps, I cut them into something I can use in a scrap quilt; sometimes squares but usually strips. I sort my strip or squares by size in stacking drawers and then when I want to use them, half the work is done for me.
    Old 02-23-2016, 01:57 PM

I save down to 1 1/2 inch strings if I like the fabric. If I don't like it, try to donate it or at least put it where I can't see it. That said I almost never buy a fabric I don't like a lot. But am lucky to have received some scraps from others. Face it some fabric was surely meant for dog beds!
    Old 02-23-2016, 05:41 PM

while I don't always save my "squares" that are smaller than 2.5", I do save all strips down to about 1.5" wide--they will go into a long cabin or string quilt someday when I can't afford fabric.