Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Say What?!? >
  • Say What?!?

• Say What?!?

Old 10-27-2015, 03:04 PM
    Banned

Brother does that with all of their machines. They want you going back to the dealer to have them service it.
    According to a well known tech on several groups, North America is the only place on earth where we aren't taught to take care of our own machines. In every other major country, people are taught to service their own sewing machines. We've built a whole industry on servicing sewing machines that most of the time is just a clean/oil/adjust. Something we can and should do ourselves. I take care of all of my machines, from my $100 Juki and Euro Pro to my vintage Singers and Brothers, my sergers, my commercial mini walker, to my $1500 embroidery machine. All 50+ of them. The only time I take one in is if it has a problem I can't fix it myself. It's not rocket science to service a sewing machine. I don't have much money and I'd rather spend it on fabric than paying someone to do what I can do at home.

Cari
    Old 10-27-2015, 03:39 PM
    Power Poster

Usually the newer machines, the backs come off easily. It's easy to clean and oil if needed from the back. I too clean and maintain all my machines even my Bernina. If the gears are silicone infused then no oil is needed. If the machine sits with no use for a long period of time the gears may not have enough silicone flowing to start up smooth, like a car starting without oil in all the moving parts. I don't mess with the computer part or clutch (bobbin winder) part of my machines. I had my new Bernina apart the second month I had it. It didn't bother me to void the warranty and that may be a concern to others. I fixed the problem and saved the long drive and about a $300 repair bill. You can find the tool needed online to take any casing off any machine if it takes more then a screwdriver.

Last edited by Onebyone; 10-27-2015 at 03:44 PM.
    Old 10-27-2015, 06:29 PM

The parts don't need to be oiled that frequently. I have had my SQ-9050 for 4years and it hasn't been oiled or service. If you sew a lot I would say once ever 2years for thorough cleaning and oiling should be fine. Most computerized machines are this way now
    Old 10-28-2015, 02:21 AM

IF you took one apart you would see that there isn't much to oil. Ever seen inside a computer? There is nothing inside a computer to oil and sewing machines are pretty much the same way anymore.
    Old 10-28-2015, 03:09 AM

I think part of this is they use a lot if plastic and Teflon coated parts. I can't afford to have my machines serviced for oiling.
    Old 10-28-2015, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by joyce888
    I don't oil my Pfaff 4.0 either. I take it back to the dealer once a year for maintenance and tune up. I do a extensive cleaning with chenille stems and canned air.
    Be careful using canned air. It can drive lint and dirt up into the machine. I periodically take my vacuum cleaner hose to my machine.
    Old 10-28-2015, 04:11 AM

I'm with Cari, they have a good thing going for the company and their service people.
    Sad!
    Old 10-28-2015, 04:31 AM
    Power Poster

I know that I take my Bernina in for servicing about every 12 to 18 months. Dust bunnies can collect in an area I can't reach. I had my Bernina 1030 serviced in August and haven't used it yet. Technician said it was in great condition. I oil the hook area about once a week as stated in the manual.
    Old 10-28-2015, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Yooper32
    I'm with Cari, they have a good thing going for the company and their service people.
    Sad!
    $$$$$$$$ Just saying
    Old 10-28-2015, 07:33 AM

Thanks for starting this thread. I was just wondering about this the other day, got out the manual for my Janome 8900, and nowhere, nowhere did it mention oiling the machine. She is due for a maintenance in a few months, so will leave it to the experts!