Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • scant 1/4 inch seam >
  • scant 1/4 inch seam

• scant 1/4 inch seam

Old 07-03-2009, 10:25 PM

At the risk of sounding very silly lol, i finally decided to ask this. I see this topic so many times, and i wonder, doesnt everyone have lines on their sewing machine to follow like i do? That's all i ever use, the lines that came with the machine, and the 1/4" line works perfect for me. And if i'm feeling tired and dont feel like having to keep watching to make sure the fabric stays on the edge of the line, then i attach my metal plate with the raised edge. My machine is 40 years old, and has this attachement, and has lines on the machine to follow. Do newer machines not have lines on them?
    Old 07-04-2009, 06:24 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by azam
    Mark the bed of your machine by taping a stack of credit cards to it just in front of the presser foot. You can also use a stack of sticky notes. I do this for my grand-daughters. They just run their fabric along the edge of the credit cards and ,voila, they sew their scant 1/4 inch. I just need to mention that they are ages 9 and 7.
    I get a roll of extra thick moleskin from the foot department of the drug store and cut that up into strips to use this way. Moleskin has an adhesive side, and the thickness is just right.
    Old 07-04-2009, 06:26 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Barb M
    At the risk of sounding very silly lol, i finally decided to ask this. I see this topic so many times, and i wonder, doesnt everyone have lines on their sewing machine to follow like i do? That's all i ever use, the lines that came with the machine, and the 1/4" line works perfect for me. And if i'm feeling tired and dont feel like having to keep watching to make sure the fabric stays on the edge of the line, then i attach my metal plate with the raised edge. My machine is 40 years old, and has this attachement, and has lines on the machine to follow. Do newer machines not have lines on them?
    I think all of the machines I have used have had marks for 1/4-inch. My problem is that my eyes start crossing after watching that mark all the time. I have found that using moleskin as a barrier gives my eyes a rest *and* results in more exact and even seams for me. Plus, I can sew faster.

I have seen other people sew incredibly accurate seams using just the mark on the bed, but I just could never do it.
    Old 07-04-2009, 07:14 AM
    Power Poster

I have a book called "Quilt LIke A Pro" by Kaye Wood - copyright 1983, revised 1989 -

This is a quote from page d

SEWING ACCURATELY
    I prefer to use 1/2" seam allowances in most of my patchwork because:

and she gives a couple of reasons, then a couple of lines down she adds:

However, I do use 1/4" seam allowances when:
    1. My patchwork will be handquilted.
    2. Dong Seminole Patchwork
    3. My patchwork will not get lots of use. ...
    4. Doing quilt-as-you-go projects ....

The directions in this book call for 1/2" seam allowances; however, 1/4" seams may be used, if you prefer. BUT, be consistent. ......

So - - -

I've seen old hand-pieced blocks with less than 1/8 inch seam allowances. Those I would hesitate to use.

If your block ends up the size you are trying for, then that is what works for you

Old 07-04-2009, 09:14 AM

I agree with the last post. I take into consideration how the quilt will be used. If it is just to hang on the wall scant is no problem. If it will be used, loved and washed frequently you had better have a good 1/4 inch or more. Remember fabric frays. That is why quality made garmets have finished seams. While those would not work on something to be quilted especially by hand It is a problem that should be remembered.
    Old 07-04-2009, 09:48 AM

I just read how to make HST's by sewing to strips together making a tube 1/4 inch seams on both sides then using my triangle ruler cutting on the 45 (looks like little triangles). It seems to work, just tried on scraps. I know clear as mud. Now just have to figure how wide my strips need to be. A little math needed here I think. There must be a chart somewhere.
    True4uca
    Old 07-04-2009, 10:43 AM

i've seen kaye wood do it that way also.
    Old 07-04-2009, 11:28 AM

http://www.kayewoodtv.com/ktv

i watch her videos on the computer. i signed up for her email newsletter and that gives me access to her videos. i think (not sure) that you can find her on youtube, also.
    Old 07-04-2009, 12:47 PM

For me I use the 1/4" foot that goes with my machine - I find that it gives me a great even edge....nice 1/4" seam - actually, since I've been using it I have a much easier time with even seams and block seams matching....It really worked for me.
    Old 07-05-2009, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
    i'm confused why do you need a 1/4 foot when sewing HST?

don't you use a large square, sew 2 lines down the middle and cut apart.

i've never used by 1/4 foot for HST i use my clear open toe foot and i can make my seam scant or exactly 1/4 - its whatever i choose it to be.
    Perhaps what the post-er is referring to is the directions for HST that say to stitch a scant 1/4" away from the drawn diagonal line.

I'm like the previous post-er who said that she cuts her blocks larger and uses the regular 1/4" seam, then trims later.