Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • scissors approved for air travel >
  • scissors approved for air travel

• scissors approved for air travel

Old 02-06-2011, 01:17 PM

Well have fun on your trip. :thumbup: :P :thumbup:
    Old 02-06-2011, 01:24 PM

I've never had a problem with taking a needle but worst case you can pick up a cheap sewing kit at the airport after security.
    Old 02-06-2011, 01:26 PM

Quick story-I travelled from Vanuatu to LA a few years ago after having blood clots in my lungs on a long flight (DVT's) the year before and was given Coumiden (sp?) in pre-filled syringes from the hospital I was medical evacuated to in New Zealand. I was told to keep them in case I got them again-especially since I traveled frequently on these long 11-13 hour flights. I packed a box of 8 syringes (with needles) in my carry-on from Vanuatu to LA, and back thru LA to Fiji and Vanuatu-and NEVER ONCE did anyone even open my bag to look at them when they went thru the X-ray!!
    Old 02-06-2011, 01:31 PM

i tend to use a sharp pair of nail clippers...so much cheaaper than the clover cutters
    Old 02-06-2011, 01:36 PM

A ball point pen can be a lethal weapon. So can a pencil. And a flashlight. A high heeled shoe. A key. A brooch. Geez, I bet a lot of every day items could be used as a weapon. Now don't arrest me...I'm just saying.......
    I'd never take my good scissors, even though approved. it just takes one person to ruin your day (and your trip).
    Old 02-06-2011, 01:36 PM

Last time I flew, I bought a 99 cent pair of child scissors to take with me. Figured that wouldn't hurt much if taken. I also took a small set of wooden needles that were also inexpensive (probably bought with a Joann's coupon) and cotton to make washcloths.
    Old 02-06-2011, 01:39 PM

I take the smallest kid scissors - they dont measure more than 4 inches and have a blunt tip. Have never had a problem
    Old 02-06-2011, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by k9dancer
    A ball point pen can be a lethal weapon. So can a pencil. And a flashlight. A high heeled shoe. A key. A brooch. Geez, I bet a lot of every day items could be used as a weapon. Now don't arrest me...I'm just saying.......
    I'd never take my good scissors, even though approved. it just takes one person to ruin your day (and your trip).
    Yea-and that one person you can count on will be some security agent in Fiji who is on a power-trip! They took a lip stick off me that was in my cosmetic bag-but let me keep the one in my purse after searching thru it! Go figure!
    Old 02-06-2011, 01:49 PM

I had to give up a pair of antique embroidery scissors in the Vegas airport. I carried them for fingernails and tag removal - tags in clothes drive me crazy. On the outgoing trip, they were in my checked luggage, but I used them in the motel room the morning we left and dropped them in my purse out of habit. Security would not let me have them. I could go see if I could find my luggage or go buy a mailer and mail them to myself. It was midnight and the plane was due to leave soon, so I had to give them up. They couldn't have been any more than three inches long. I was not a happy camper.
    Old 02-06-2011, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
    I had to give up a pair of antique embroidery scissors in the Vegas airport. I carried them for fingernails and tag removal - tags in clothes drive me crazy. On the outgoing trip, they were in my checked luggage, but I used them in the motel room the morning we left and dropped them in my purse out of habit. Security would not let me have them. I could go see if I could find my luggage or go buy a mailer and mail them to myself. It was midnight and the plane was due to leave soon, so I had to give them up. They couldn't have been any more than three inches long. I was not a happy camper.
    I wonder who has those scissors now?