Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • scissors approved for air travel >
  • scissors approved for air travel

• scissors approved for air travel

Old 02-07-2011, 04:17 PM

Last month my daughter went to Costa Rica. In the US ,Delta let her bring knitting needles in her carry on. When she came back Costa Rice Delta would not let her bring them. They are in the garage because her bags were already checked in. Good luck.
    Old 02-07-2011, 04:53 PM

You could also take toe nail clippers that will at least cut the threads
    Old 02-07-2011, 04:55 PM

I had the small embroidery ones and they were taken from me . But I was allowed to keep my small pointed doily crochet hooks. Which could do alot more damage than my tiny scissors. Think it really depends who is checking you in
    Old 02-07-2011, 05:07 PM

After reading many of the answers etc - thought that as I do work in legal, & in this area as well - then a few things do need to be clarified.
    For a start on ALL International flights - ALL sharp objects are required to be placed in check in luggage - not hand luggage & sharp objects that are to be placed in check in luggage - need to be placed in safe container that sharp objects cannot puncture.

A matter of common sense is this......all passengers want to feel safe & lets face it - better to be safe than sorry right......after all once you up up in the air - then thats it.

Yes some may think that security is going over board, but I can tell you right now the amount of places that "Would be Terrorist's" are now using is mind boggling....& that ain't funny....they are not dumb - & they are very clever in their excuses etc.

So think about it.....please put ALL sharp objects in check in luggage - not hand luggage.

On another note re the quilter about the lipstick.....it has happened in the UK that a small portion of lipstick was hollowed out & a certain amount of small portion of chemical to ignite was then placed back in lipstick.

Workers at the International check points know full well that if they miss anything & something does happen on a flight that they think "oh good enough is okay" - then they also know that would be held responsible & think about this.....those same workers see the looks on faces of relatives who are given any bad news.

Quilters not trying to scare etc......but there are very good reasons & unfortunately I am not in a position to give full details...but take it from me....the reasons are not to annoy you - but to keep you safe & protect when flying.
    Old 02-07-2011, 05:26 PM

we used small nail clippers to cut thread on the plane
    Old 02-07-2011, 05:39 PM

I know you can travel with children's blunt tip scissors. I take those for my knitting.
    Old 02-07-2011, 06:28 PM

Fingernail clippers work great too for clipping threads. That's what I always use when traveling.
    Old 02-07-2011, 06:42 PM

I have my clover on a chain and I wear it around my neck just like a neckless never had a problem, but I take crocheting with me.
    Old 02-07-2011, 06:43 PM

I use a child's fiskar scissors with a blunt point. I've carried them all over the US, to Europe and to Mexico and Costa Rico without a problem.

Never had a problem with a needle either, usually embroidery or needlepoint.

My daughter flies all over the world for her job and has taken knitting needles with her with no problems.
    Old 02-07-2011, 06:49 PM

At a quilt show recently the demonstrator said the she has a "medallion" necklace that cuts thread. She has worn it all over the world to cut threads.