Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • scissors approved for air travel >
  • scissors approved for air travel

• scissors approved for air travel

Old 02-07-2011, 07:04 PM

For those of you who carry a sewing needle, how do you carry it? I took one in '09 placed it in my carry on pocket book in a little piece of flannel. Not a word was said about it. But really that could cause someone to get stuck, so what would be a better way?
    Old 02-07-2011, 07:10 PM

My friend wore this necklace on a plane so she could cut thread...

http://www.ineedlework.com/455-454.html
    Old 02-07-2011, 07:16 PM

Rather don't take any chance with scissors, it really won't go.
    Old 02-07-2011, 07:17 PM

I had small craft scissors and was pulled out of the line, the checker kept clicking my scissors. they were fiskes with the spring. I told him when you break they spring are you going to buy me another part. They are really shap he said, I said yes, I am a quilter i need sharp scissors. He advised me to check them , first he said mail them to myself and i gave him a stupid stare. he said to check them. the lady behind the counter gave me a suit box and lots of bubble wrap. When I returned I out them in my luggage.
    Old 02-07-2011, 07:50 PM

Renee110 that is the one I have and it works great
    Old 02-07-2011, 08:10 PM

I am glad I heard all of this. I am going to Europe in May and was planning on taking a small pair of scissors with me on the plane. The last time I flew in US, I asked one of the security supervisors about the scissors and he told me up to 4" blades were allowed. But when I hear all this I am going to rethink it. I had planned to cross stitch, maybe not??
    Old 02-07-2011, 08:27 PM

I have the Clover cutter and use it all the time when chain piecing. It can be worn as a necklace so would be nice and handy and cuts threads beautifully!
    Old 02-07-2011, 08:31 PM

Yes I would strongly advise you not to take anything classed as "Sharp" - sure a TSA officer may wave you through, but think about the UK & what the implications are there.

Have you any idea as to the amount of small items that verious groups have tried to use on planes from the UK in their bid to cause mayhem & terror?

Quite frankly you are putting all at a risk, has anybody even thought about some nutter who could see whatever you would be using & then lung at you to take them? I know that most don't want to hear all of this & think that security is going to far, but unfortunately security does have to be a step ahead all the time & think about what someone can use in any terrorist attack - no matter how small. Not an easy job trying to be one step ahead all the time, & especially when there are people that then say its only a small pair of scissors etc.

And yes...I will say this - as its one small part of the line of my work, & the rest unfortunately I can not elaborate on.

For anybody to say that even small cutters etc are okay - be they small nail clippers or whatever - is quite frankly being totally un-responsible.

Those are the very people, that if anything - God forbid happens - will then come out & lay the blame on security officers or their supervisors etc

So please re-think on what should only go in hand luggage
    Old 02-07-2011, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
    Originally Posted by quiltstodo
    Are you using them to cut the fabric or just thread? If just thread I take a clover thread cutter with me and put my scissors in the check in luggage.
    Just the thread-I have cut the hexagons and papers already and will put them in a plastic tote. I'll check the Clover out-thanks!
    I have taken the Clover desk top needle threader on board with no problem. I also have a small thread cutter that has the circular blade enclose in a metal casing with tiny indentations along the edge where the blade edge is. That's even handier.
    Old 02-07-2011, 10:11 PM

I bring a floss thing ... the thingy on the side that you cut the floss with is excellent thread cutter.... kinda like the one on the sewing machines.