Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Which Scissors are best? >
  • Which Scissors are best?

• Which Scissors are best?

Old 04-05-2010, 12:01 PM

I bought a set of Mundials. They have a soft cushion grip and are a delight to use! I bought them in 2000 and they still are as sharp as ever!
    Bills Girl
    Old 04-05-2010, 12:23 PM

I recently bought 2 pairs of Clover shears. I had never heard of then until a friend said she could get them for $22.00 a pair. So I picked up 2 pair. So far I really like them. They are sharp and very light weight! I have had a pair of Ginghers for over 20 years, they are still very sharp and wonderful. The only thing I don't care for is how heavy my Ginghers are. I have Gingher, snips, pinking shears, embroidery scissors, and shears. They are great scissors. Time will tell how my Clover ones will be.
    Old 04-05-2010, 12:28 PM

I love my Ghingers. We can get them for half price thru the Extension Office, so it makes them affordable.
    Old 04-05-2010, 12:44 PM

I like my ginghers best, too, but have Fiscars also. They sell a little round-thing-with-ceramic-stick for sharpening Fiscars, and that helps. Also helps that my local, small town-and-has-everything hardware store has someone who picks up and delivers on sharpening saws, knives, scissors, etc. He did a really good job.

Also - I read about a woman who had an AWFUL time keeping her family out of her good sewing shears. Yelling and screaming didn't help. after all, the scissors were there by her machine, in a convenient and consistent location! SO she put her good shears in a drawer and filled the canisters with the cheap ones. Hey! The family didn't know the difference, but she did! Great idea!
    Troutbabe
    Old 04-05-2010, 01:00 PM

I tie a strip of material around the handle of mine so my family knows (and me too sometimes) that they are for fabric only - not paper!
    Old 04-05-2010, 01:37 PM

I also love my Ginghers - I have two different sizes of shears, also the pinking shears and the embroidery scissors. They are great. Also, as someone else said, any scissors made in Solingen, Germany are wonderful. I'm going to have to try the lighter-weight Clover scissors so many posters have mentioned.
    Old 04-05-2010, 02:00 PM

Ginghers are my all time favorite and I probably all of them. I like the lightweight ones the best.
    Old 04-05-2010, 02:00 PM

Ginghers are my all time favorite and I probably all of them. I like the lightweight ones the best.

Sorry for the duplicate. I hit send twice by accident.
    Old 04-05-2010, 02:12 PM

I've had Fiskar's Soft Touch since they came out, they are the only ones I can use because of arthritis in my hands. I know I've had them ten years or more and they are still very sharp. Have never touched a piece of paper though.

I have another pair of Fiskar's, got in 1983, came with their own sharpener. I guess I run them through it once every couple of years and I even use these to cut paper. I also have the Fiskars pinking shears but they are not a favorite of mine, they will cut two layers of cotton but bind up on any more. I wouldn't recommend them.

I use the Fiskars sharpener on other less expensive shears and scissors around the house. Seems to do the trick on most of them.
    Old 04-05-2010, 02:44 PM

I love my Ginghers, I have 3 different sizes. The 8 inch are heavy but they have been sharp for 8 years of usage.