Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Scissors recommendation please~ >
  • Scissors recommendation please~

• Scissors recommendation please~

Old 02-16-2012, 05:30 AM

I have the large Gingher's dressmaking shears and love them. Bought them at Hancock's with a coupon for $20. Then I also have a smaller pair of Mundial 6 incvh shears beside my sewing machine that I absolutely LOVE. Like them so much, I went back and bought another pair for my traveling kit for workshops and retreats. They were on sale and I had a coupon for those too.
    Old 02-16-2012, 05:37 AM

I love my Fiskars, my small Ginghers but I also invested in a pair of Kai scissors that I think would cut thru just about anything. I only use them for cutting large fabric pieces. They are 10" in size & are wonderful. Actually my husband bought them for me for Christmas & I LOVE them. They are pricey but will last for years. The blade cuts like butter & for the full length of the scissors. I had never heard of them before but my LQS recommended them & boy this time they were right! For everyday cutting my Fiskars are also great.

Last edited by callen; 02-16-2012 at 05:39 AM. Reason: typo
    Old 02-16-2012, 05:39 AM
    Banned

I'm one of the few quilters who does not like Ginghers; I have many - all too heavy
    Except for a 5" embroidery/applique that I love
    I'm a Fiskars lady
    Old 02-16-2012, 05:52 AM

I have a whole set of Ginghers, like 5 pairs. I keep them in their silver cases so they tuck away and no one who needs to borrow a pair of scissors can see them sitting there, tempting them to use my fabric scissors for ....'shuddering' who knows what. Best part? Got them all on Ebay, all five pairs, one lot, from the big guys down to the little ones for around $45. They cut like a dream.
    Old 02-16-2012, 05:52 AM

Totally agree with Karen Kay Buckley's Perfect Scissors. The fabric does not shift when cutting, large handles for easy handling. I have the 7.5" and now am going to purchase the 3.5". Her website is www.karenkaybuckley.com. She has a video there as well.
    Old 02-16-2012, 05:56 AM

I love Kai scissors. My family knows that they are not to cut anything but fabric with my Kai scissors
    Old 02-16-2012, 06:35 AM

I have LOTS of scissors, and I do have my favorites. Fiskars are well made, and unless they have been abused, they stay sharp for a long time. Bonus: they are easily sharpened. Kai scissors are wonderful, but sometimes hard to find. Ginghers are probably the easiest to find great scissors; they have so many styles that you can surely find a pair to suit your purpose, whatever it is. Wasa scissors are hard to find, but probably a little higher quality than Gingher. Bohin scissors are great, but since they are from France, they are always expensive, and extremely hard to find.

My absolute favorite scissors, though, are DOVO. They are made in Solingen Germany, where lots of top quality blades are made. They are incredibly sharp, have great points, but they have something more--they are so smooth to use that you feel like you are using a luxury instrument. They are hard to find, and they are expensive--but worth every penny!
    Old 02-16-2012, 06:49 AM
    Power Poster

Another vote for GINGHER! I have at least 8 pair...
    Old 02-16-2012, 07:17 AM

I, too, have several brands. I have used fiskars and like them. When teaching sewing at Hancocks years ago, I recommended Mundial that were 19.95. (I have 3 pair just identical- one is daughters)
    Students got 10% off (then they had coupons). I keep fiskars kids school scissors beside each machine and serger in my sewing room. However, two years ago; my friend suprised me with the spring action ginghers in the silver box. I call them butter scissors b/c u can cut thru denim like butter. I also received some Gingher applique scissors when a church friend had me come get her aunt's sewing supplies after the aunt passed. I want a small pair of the gingher scissors but will be like most and wait for a coupon. I recommend the best quality for the price you can afford and then make them for fabric only. Usually the cutting table at Joanns and Hancock have different ones out so try them. Good Luck with the search. Teresa
    Old 02-16-2012, 07:26 AM

I totally agree with you regarding the Kai scissors. I have Ginghers and love them, but the Kai is just exceptional and hold their edge better than others.