Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Scissors >
  • Scissors

• Scissors

Old 04-26-2014, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Carrie in PA
    I have heard that too but i believe it's meant to just do a light sharpening on paper scissors. I have done it and i think it works but i haven't done it enough to really be sure.

Now i do know that cutting up wax paper will lubricate blades, especially on something like a paper shredder.

I do this with my rotary cutter. It does work. As an apprentice hairdresser many years ago I was told not to cut ribbon with hairdressing scissors. Many people seems to have the opinion that, what ever their special need is for their scissors, that cutting anything else will wreck them.
    Old 04-26-2014, 05:18 AM

My husband picked up my good scissors to cut open an envelope, he was going to ignore me when I told him to not cut paper until I threatened to go use the tools in his garage however I wanted to use them. He promptly put my scissors down and got the generic scissors to use.
    Old 04-26-2014, 05:20 AM

I purchased a. Scissor sharpener at Joann's. it is Fiskars, the same one that the girls use at the cutting counter. I don't wait till they are dull. I just touch them up. One of my fist pair of Fiskars actually came with a blade sharpener-20+ yrs ago but it still works. It is cheaper and easier than sending out. Get out tose coupons and try one!
    Old 04-26-2014, 05:45 AM

To answer the question about the adjustment bolt...My Dad owned a sharpening business for several years and did scissor sharpening. If you look at the OP picture of the scissors (bottom image) you can clearly see the bolt and the space between where the two sides of the scissors come together. Part of the professional sharpening process is to make sure all of that area is clean, oiled and aligned correctly. Or I guess I should say that is what his process was.
    Old 04-26-2014, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter
    I had read on another board years ago that the 'don't cut paper with cloth cotting scissors' was a total myth. This was supposedly by a professional sharpener. I have very fine serated scissors that have only been used on cloth. I have dirt cheap scissors that I use on thread, cloth, paper and I'd still probably lose a digit or two if I slipped using them!
    I took a class with Carol Doak who said basically the same thing about the concern with cutting paper ( paper piecing paper) with a rotary cutter. She pointed out that paper is made from fiber, the same as fabric, and will it not harm the rotary cutter. I would assume the same would be true of scissors. That being said, I would not use by sewing scissors for cardboard, template plastic or anything abrasive. I generally get a pair of Fiskars with a coupon at Joann's and use them till they're dull ( then they are allowed for cardboard and template plastic )and get a new pair. I had a pair of Ginghers, but felt they were not worth the cost, or the hassle of having to return them to get sharpened.
    Old 04-26-2014, 06:07 AM
    Power Poster

So far have had no visitors over to sabotage my scissors. Friend of mine has a lot of relatives including grandkids. She has a lot of craft scissors. She made little cloth tags for her scissors that are allowed for different crafts. Her embroidery scissors and sewing scissors are locked in her drawer and also her rotary cutters. All others are at the disposal of every one else.
    Old 04-26-2014, 07:28 AM

I haven't heard about using aluminum foil for sharpening scissors but I cut thru sandpaper every so often and that seems to work for me.
    Old 04-26-2014, 07:32 AM

I send out all my shears to be sharpened, even my pinking shears. They always come back good as new.

Cutting paper with the same shears one cuts with fabric is a total misconception.
    Egged on by people who think they need new more expensive shears to teach the family a lesson about using their shears.
    Old 04-26-2014, 08:56 AM

I have found that cutting things other than fabric dose dull the blades. I have a pair of Fiskars in the kitchen for everyday use. I have a small pair of Fiskars in bedroom for cutting clothing tags ect and THEN in my sewing/craft room I have Fiskars with MOM written in permanent marker for fabric only (everyone knows NOT to touch them) also in that room is off brand scissors for crafting and small Fiskars for crafting. I have daught my sewing.crafting partner 13yr grand daughter the importance of the scissors and she tells everyone else she knows about it. I have DH sharpen my scissors with the Fiskars sharpener oops I also have a pair for cutting batting.
    Old 04-26-2014, 09:43 AM
    Power Poster

I actually saw a professional say that cutting paper/fabric doesn't matter. I tend to disagree, however, my Mom would tell me to cut aluminum foil/sandpaper to sharpen scissors. I might be all wet, but it has worked for me in the past as I don't have access to any professional way to sharpen my scissors. I have 2 Fiskars scissors that only but fabric, then I have other scissors (usually the $1 scissors-mainly because I keep misplacing them) to cut anything else. I guess my comments probably aren't very helpful, but I'll put in my 2 cents as the sandpaper/aluminum foil has worked for me. Until my kids left home, the 2nd or 3rd time, I marked my good scissors and threatened with death or other suitable torture (LOL-really I'm sort of kidding here), if they used them for any reason other than cutting fabric, although I strongly suggested that they do not touch.