Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Scrap? >
  • Scrap?

• Scrap?

Old 01-18-2011, 03:28 AM

I had to laugh when I saw your post. I just redid my stash to be organized for the new year. Here is a picture of my box of
    "scraps". I decided to use my go cutter and just cut shapes and put the aside for scrap quilts and then cive the remaining little scraps to a friend in my guild who makes blocks from everything the rest of us throw away. (she never buys fabric and her quilts are beautiful). The other pictures are of the hundreds of blocks I cut out. I cut chisels squares and hst's.The plastic bin is full of over 400 hsts.The last picture is the box when I finally quit. I swear it is fuller now then when I started:)
    Good luck on using up your scraps. I think they are like rabbits and just keep multiplying

when I started
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]162818[/ATTACH]

what I cut
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]162819[/ATTACH]

It just keeps growing
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]162832[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-162813.jpe   attachment-162814.jpe   attachment-162827.jpe  
    Old 01-18-2011, 05:21 AM

I don't throw out anything that I can even get a postage stamp piece out of. Some day you'll be glad you saved them.
    Old 01-18-2011, 05:29 AM

PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT GIVE SCRAPS OR PIECES OF THREAD TO BIRDS FOR THEIR NESTS!!

IN AN ISSUE OF 'BIRDS AND BLOOMS' IT STATED THE FABRIC AND THREAD GETS WET, THE BABY BIRDS GET CHILLED AND THEN DIE.

If you want to give birds nesting material collect hair from your local salon, barber shop or pet groomer.

There are locations where cotton fabric can be recycled, this is a much better solution for unwanted scraps.

Longarm
    Old 01-18-2011, 05:34 AM

I did not mention that there are some quilters who use even the smallest pieces in scrappy quilts, applique, string quilts and probably other uses.

Check with others from your group or guild maybe they know someone who would love your scraps. I know there are people who dumpster dive at retreats because they use small pieces that others consider trash.

Longarm
    Old 01-18-2011, 05:43 AM

I consider a scrap anything under a yard THAT I PREVIOUSLY USED IN A QUILT PROJECT. I purposely buy fat quarters and would not consider them a scrap, though I know that "scrap quilt" books and patterns are very often based on fat quarters. but once I've used it in something, it becomes a scrap. I just went through my scraps and cut them into 5" squares and 2 1/2" strips that are now ready to go.
    Old 01-18-2011, 05:51 AM

I throw away some due to I'm sick of them. I almost gave away a tub of scraps to the goodwill because I was tired of them but went to quiltville.com and found the pattern "crayon box", I printed it and proceeded to cut into this tube of scraps that I ironed. To date I have sewn 96 blocks and I'm sewing on 120 more. How stupid of me to think I'd give all that away. I did cut up some "less than a yard pieces" I'm on a roll Ladies!!!!!!!!!!
    Old 01-18-2011, 05:57 AM

I do a lot of scrappy quilts. I save everything. Larger scraps in one drawer and small and tiny pieces in another.
    Old 01-18-2011, 06:56 AM

I do hand needleturn applique,landscapes,old barns and houses,animals, so needless to say a scrap of 1/2 inch sometimes works. also the Dear Jane that I am doing uses extra small pieces. So I guess I am saying a scrap is a scrap to someone .lol
    Old 01-18-2011, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by bj
    If I can't get a 2" square or a 1.5 strip out of it, I pitch it. I don't have a lot of storage room, and, so far, I haven't done any projects that could use tiny pieces.
    I agree! Diane C.
    Old 01-18-2011, 07:04 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

1x1 is a bit small for me but golly! anyone wanting to get rid of scraps no smaller than 2x2 Id love them !! I would soo love your scraps.. I seriously use 2x2....