Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Scrap? >
  • Scrap?

• Scrap?

Old 01-18-2011, 07:42 AM

Left over fabric gets cut into squares, rectangles and strips. If its full across the fabric I first cut 1 1/2" strips, 2 1/2" strips, if its odd shape, will cut squares and rectangles, starting with about a 5" square and work down until I use almost all the fabric, these are in shoe boxes, then toss the remainder into a baggie by color.
    I do confetti quilts occasionally, I open a baggie and run the rotary cutter over it all until its cut into tiny pieces, then spread this over a background (example would be greens for a tree) put net over it all and quilt the areas in place, then quilt over the "tree" or whatever with quilting to hold the snips in place.
    Old 01-18-2011, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by quilt3311
    Left over fabric gets cut into squares, rectangles and strips. If its full across the fabric I first cut 1 1/2" strips, 2 1/2" strips, if its odd shape, will cut squares and rectangles, starting with about a 5" square and work down until I use almost all the fabric, these are in shoe boxes, then toss the remainder into a baggie by color.
    I do confetti quilts occasionally, I open a baggie and run the rotary cutter over it all until its cut into tiny pieces, then spread this over a background (example would be greens for a tree) put net over it all and quilt the areas in place, then quilt over the "tree" or whatever with quilting to hold the snips in place.
    Hmmm - I would be interested in learning more about this technique -
    Marysewfun :D
    Old 01-18-2011, 09:00 AM

I make squares as large as the scrap is. Some are 12" and some 2", then later on you can alwaya cut the bigger sq. into smaller ones.
    Old 01-18-2011, 09:04 AM

I used to save everything, but it got ridiculous. Now i only save larger than about 2 inchers. I save thread clippings for the birds.
    Old 01-18-2011, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by mom2boyz
    Sew, with the itty bitty pieces, do they all get mixed up in a tub or are they organized in some way. What about skinny strips left from evening off or squaring up? How are they stored, or are they saved?
    I have an old tall laundry hamper (an old plastic one w/ air holes) that all my scraps go into -- anything smaller than a charm square. Before that I used an open wicker basket, but this takes up less floor space. It's a good idea to enclose some scrap pieces behind the quilt label, in case a repair is ever needed. Sometimes I sort small triangles/ pcs from a particular project into a baggy, but since I sew a lot (garments & home dec) everything goes in. Now that it's getting full, I need to have my crafty friends look thru it & perhaps sort by fiber content. :roll: Hmmm - sounds like another project! Whew! Too many scraps & not enough time! :lol:
    Old 01-18-2011, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Longarm
    PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT GIVE SCRAPS OR PIECES OF THREAD TO BIRDS FOR THEIR NESTS!!

IN AN ISSUE OF 'BIRDS AND BLOOMS' IT STATED THE FABRIC AND THREAD GETS WET, THE BABY BIRDS GET CHILLED AND THEN DIE.

If you want to give birds nesting material collect hair from your local salon, barber shop or pet groomer.

There are locations where cotton fabric can be recycled, this is a much better solution for unwanted scraps.

Longarm
    I'd heard that, too. Thanks for reminding us! Since I brush them everyday, I put my cats' fur out in my flower bed or stick it on the trees & bushes for the birds. I will start including the hair from my brush, too. Last year I was saving it for the "hair booms" to help clean up oil spills, but they're no longer collecting it, so I'll go back to putting it out for the birds.
    Old 01-18-2011, 10:50 AM

Scraps to me wass anything that is oddly shaped that cannot be cut into at least a 2" square or a 1 1/2" strip. All smaller leftover pieces from finished quilts are re-sized into squares & strips and put in boxes marked as such. I have boxes that contain squares from 2" to 6 1/2" and strips are 1 1/2" & 2". Anything smaller than 2" was originally going into a 'get rid of' bag to pass on to a paper piecer. However, I am now doing the block of the month for my guild and have decided on houses. So now I find myself reaching into that bag. What is scraps? It's all relative.
    Old 01-18-2011, 12:35 PM

I save everything!!! scrap is a scrap. even the little tiny ones I have in a box to make mini qult squares.
    LOL!! guess you'd call be a fabric piggie
    Debbie :mrgreen:
    Old 01-18-2011, 02:38 PM

I cut my scraps into squares and strips of different sizes and store them in empty pizza boxes and label each one. One box for 1 1/2" squares, another for 2" squares, etc. Then I use them for scrap quilts. They're already cut and ready to sew.
    Old 01-18-2011, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by kanakama
    I cut my scraps into squares and strips of different sizes and store them in empty pizza boxes and label each one. One box for 1 1/2" squares, another for 2" squares, etc. Then I use them for scrap quilts. They're already cut and ready to sew.
    Kanakama, I love your avatar! Can you post a larger picture so I can see how beautiful it is? Is it a pattern or did you design it yourself?