Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Scrap? >
  • Scrap?

• Scrap?

Old 01-18-2011, 04:45 PM

Go on line to quiltville.com and check out Bonnie K Hunter she saves everything. The smallest pieces being about an inch strips and squares. She has a system of organizing her stash that is terrific. I took one of her classes in Sept or Oct (can't remember) and have been sloly reorganizing. She also has a lot of free patterns and mystery quilts on her site. (I'm not a family member or anything just a great fan)
    Old 01-18-2011, 04:55 PM

I save all. I use all. The frienship quilt I have been cutting pc's for has 1.5 in sqs, and I have been for sometime collecting for that and would lke as many diff fab's as I can get... I have close to 900 cut.. the other size in the quilt is 1.2 x 2.5and 4 in sq's. So please you who are tossing my sq's please send... Smile
    ConnieF And I 'd like to add thanks to those who have sent... I was working on 1.5 in half sq triangles last night.... Love the small stuff
    Old 01-18-2011, 05:01 PM

I didn't use to save the bits and pieces. Since I've been seeing what others make with the little things I keep it all. Some very beautiful scrap quilts out there.
    Old 01-18-2011, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Joanie2
    So I just went to that site and ordered the pattern. Easy.
    Thanks so much!
    Great! Let me know how it turns out.
    Old 01-18-2011, 05:20 PM

I loveeeeeee my scraps!! To me scraps are odd shaped and smaller than a fat quarter. Mine are sorted by color into plastic shoe boxes. Fat quarter sized pieces are kept together and larger than that goes into my stash cabinet.
    Old 01-18-2011, 05:20 PM
    Banned

I keep it all....so if any of you want to toss out your scraps, send them my way...I foundation piece them to muslin for charity quilt for my local childrens hospice!
    Old 01-18-2011, 05:40 PM

I am beginning to cut all scraps into 3" wide strips. I am going to make scrap coin quilts with them. Anything I have left when I am done, I will post here as a freebie. I will label it as such when I post it, in case some of you want them. Keep watching for a post that says 'freebie scraps'.
    Old 01-18-2011, 05:57 PM

Wow the girls in my quilt group laugh at me I dont usually buy bigger than a fat quarter. If I can get a one half in square out of it it probably goes in the next miniature I do.
    Old 01-18-2011, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by bj
    If I can't get a 2" square or a 1.5 strip out of it, I pitch it. I don't have a lot of storage room, and, so far, I haven't done any projects that could use tiny pieces.
    That's what I do also. I try to cut squares or strips right away once the project is finished, to stay up on the scraps. I still have a large bin full of uncut scraps, but they're handy in my room so I grab out of it too when doing a scrap project. Then if I don't use all of that scrap, I cut it then and add to the individual scrap bins. I have 1 1/2 strips, and squares & strips in 2" all the way to 6 1/2". Will post a pic of how mine are stored once cut. It's so much fun to play with scraps! The bins on the shelf above counter and a second one, not shown, are all cut up...they are totally full! The bin, next to the table, that is open with the plastic bags are the uncut scraps. Very accessable, not much hunting. I've tried to organize them into catagories, ie: sports, baby, cats/dogs, etc. Hopefully, someday that bin will be empty and all cut too.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-163480.jpe  
    Old 01-18-2011, 06:14 PM

I find once I cut them into strips or squares etc. I am more reluctant to use them. LOL... I don't know why that is. But the untrimmed scraps I never hesitate to grab and use in a project. Maybe it's just because they look so nice all stacked in their piles of strips, squares and triangles.