Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Scrap? >
  • Scrap?

• Scrap?

Old 01-18-2011, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by mom2boyz
    Sew, with the itty bitty pieces, do they all get mixed up in a tub or are they organized in some way. What about skinny strips left from evening off or squaring up? How are they stored, or are they saved?
    I save any piece 1" wide by 1.5" or longer. I store them in a plastic tub and in my "spare" time I am making a court house step quilt using these pieces.
    Old 01-18-2011, 07:40 PM
    Power Poster

I don't save anything under an inch or two in combined length and width.
    Old 01-18-2011, 07:41 PM

If I can "see" the piece it's a scrap. I will keep itty bitty pieces at least for a while. I see how other people have "made" fabric from tiny bits of cloth and wash away facing and gobs of thread, sewing all over the piece. I haven't tried it yet but want to.
    Old 01-18-2011, 10:13 PM

Has to be at least two inches long. :D
    Old 01-19-2011, 12:20 AM

Anything 2" or more can be used in scrap quilts. If not by you, put it aside and you won't have trouble finding someone else who loves scrapy quilting to take it. Especiallly with hearing about prices going up on fabric. :)
    Old 01-19-2011, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
    What I did was go to Target or the Dollar store and got about 10 of those plastic shoe boxes (the clear kind). Then I took a sharpie and labelled each one, 1", 1.5", 2", 2.5", 3", 3.5", 4", 4.5", strings 1.5", 2" and one I called Charms (5" squares) I also labelled another one HST, and throw any and all HSTs in that one. Whenever I finish cutting up enough pieces for a specific block, I cut the leftovers up and put them in the proper bins. When the bins get full, I just sew the pieces all together and make a scrappy quilt top or miniature or table topper.

Check out Quiltville: http://www.quiltville.com

Good Idea! Thanks.
    Old 01-19-2011, 01:22 PM

As I do alot of applique, I never toss any scrap-unless it is just a sliver from straightening a block, or evening up yardage to make my first rotary cut. I even started saving selveges in s separate box just "in case". I have anything smaller than about 1/2 a FQ sorted by color in clear stacking bins under my sewing table, and 1/2 FQ's up to a yard folded in hanging shoe closet organizers (by color), then over 1 yard pieces folded in hanging sweater closet organizers (by color). Bolts are just stacked on a shelf. When I am working on a project, any cut-off (scraps) I want to keep, I toss into a clear plastic 2-gal jar until I get around to sorting them into their proper stacking boxes. In the meantime, all the mixed colors look pretty in that jar until I empty it!! I am a real scrap-a-holic so anyone looking for a home for their tiny scraps, I'll gladly adopt them!
    Old 01-19-2011, 01:30 PM

Scraps to me are like leftover triangles or squares and small pieces accumulated from cutting. Nothing smaller than 1 1/1 inches though.
    Old 01-19-2011, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Shari1967
    What do you consider a "scrap"?

less than a 1/4 yard?
    less than an 1/8 yard?

I'm going thru my "stash" and I have some scraps but some are good sized pieces but not enough to ever do probably even a wall hanging or table runner with...probably less than 1/8 yard though so I'm wondering should I put them in my (newly created) scrap bin or fold them and put them with my stash.....my stash is not that big - 3 bins (2 small, 1 large) and one bin is all Christmas fabric.

If it's too small to sew a 1/4" seam allowance on all sides it's gone. ANything bigger can always go to a crazy quilt design or applique.
    Old 01-19-2011, 03:24 PM

I love scraps, I look on Craigslist all the time. I have run out of scraps for a project I am making. So I have to make another quilt so I can get more scraps.