Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Scrap vortex quilt >
  • Scrap vortex quilt

• Scrap vortex quilt

Old 01-02-2023, 02:35 PM

this is scrappy enough for me. https://www.lightinthebox.com/en/p/3...SABEgIHIPD_BwE
    not so many tiny pieces but the really scrappy one would really use up all those smaller pieces very well.

Old 01-02-2023, 02:43 PM
    Gay

I started making a crumb quilt, but mine ended up a circular design, like a hexagon, which began in the centre of the block. Took me a whole day to make 2 blocks, so after 12 blocks it was pushed aside. Perhaps I should take a leaf out of this version (have watched on youtube) and I may get further, quicker. Lord knows I have enough scraps/crumbs to make several.
    Old 01-02-2023, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltwoman44
    this is scrappy enough for me. https://www.lightinthebox.com/en/p/3...SABEgIHIPD_BwE
    not so many tiny pieces but the really scrappy one would really use up all those smaller pieces very well.
    That optical illusion is fabulous. I wouldn’t mind falling into bed.
    Old 01-03-2023, 05:40 AM

Well, after posting yesterday, and reading the site with the directions, I gave it a try. Honestly, it is not for me. It took too long and perhaps I don't have enough scraps with enough variety. Keep stitching my quilty friends, I will go back to my 2.5s and pile of UFOs with a generous sprinkling of self kitted quilt projects for 2023.
    Old 01-03-2023, 06:09 AM
    Power Poster

I make crumb blocks as leader-enders so you don't get bored with it. I love making any scrappy blocks.
    Old 01-03-2023, 10:38 AM

My scrap box doesn’t have any depth. After seeing this, I’m putting out a call to my quilty friends. ‘ISO scraps, I’ll help you clean out your scrap bin.’ See there, I’m doing you a favor, helping you straighten. Te He. Lol. And all that.
    Old 01-03-2023, 05:31 PM

Oh my goodness. After sewing 326 string blocks (4 inch with 13 strings per block) I am going to have to make the vortex quilt...I have officially "lost it". LOL

Thanks for the link.
    Old 01-14-2023, 02:54 PM

Default I changed my mind

Originally Posted by WMUTeach
    Well, after posting yesterday, and reading the site with the directions, I gave it a try. Honestly, it is not for me. It took too long and perhaps I don't have enough scraps with enough variety. Keep stitching my quilty friends, I will go back to my 2.5s and pile of UFOs with a generous sprinkling of self kitted quilt projects for 2023.

Well, I got hooked on these blocks. I found that If I do one a day using the scraps from that day's work along with some from my bag of scraps, I can easily do a 12 " block each day. I have 10 done and will keep at it until I have 30 to lay out in a 5X6 grid. It is addicting and a good mental game to play with my self to use all of one day's scraps The blocks in the photo are not sewn together just tossed in rows on the floor.

Is any one else doing one of these? I guess, I would call it a version of a crumb. I was wondering about the name VORTEX. Definition: A vortex is commonly associated with the rotating motion of fluid around a common center line......Typically, fluid circulates around the vortex, the speed increases as the vortex is approached and the pressure decreases. To me that sounds like a log cabin block. Humm, Oh, well. I will crumb around my vortex and see what I end up with. Glad I gave it a try.
    Attached Thumbnails 2023-01-14-scrap-vortex-blocks.jpg