Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Scrappy quilts >
  • Scrappy quilts

• Scrappy quilts

Old 07-06-2011, 02:43 PM

I think it is a sentimental thing with me. Plus I like to see how someone could put together scraps that coordinate enough to make something planned and beautiful. I don't usually care for totally unplanned scrap quilts.
    Old 07-06-2011, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Essiescott
    Erstan
    That is a good way to explain them. Yes you are so right about wrapped in love. Quite often I have made quilts out of fabric that I made my children's clothing and such. Neat to look at the quilts and remember the clothing article that I had made with the fabric prior. Same with fabric my mother or grandmother had made for me when I was young.

Sibyl
    me too... i look at the one on my bed, & know that's carolynn's christening dress, there's glenn's & lianna's newborn quilt..there's the fat quarter i bought @ the shop hop in MI with my oldest friend.. there's the shirt dh had on the first time i kissed him.... its like being cuddled with memories...
    Old 07-06-2011, 03:32 PM

Can't deny that this scrap quilt is beautiful! I think I may have to try and duplicate it. I'm in the midst of a first scrappy too, mainly to use up a pile of scraps.Its looking good! I'll share with you when finished.
    Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
    Originally Posted by Suzi
    chaotic visual interest = says it all!
    My favorite scrappy are the ones with a constant fabric so the eye has a place to rest while giving the eye the chaotic visual interest.
    Old 07-06-2011, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by earthwalker
    As well as the things mentioned above, I just like the chaotic visual interest. .... but scrappies are just totally unique - no two are alike. Oh and you get to break "rules" too.:)

I totally agree! I just made 3 scrappy tops in the last 3 weeks.....one a king size, one a twin size and the other for a toddler size.

These are the first ever quilt tops I have ever made. I did these in desperation of going through an episode of my MS. It kept my mind of my medical problems.

I also agree that I'm not one to follow rules and lie to do my own thing so instead of trying to sew a planned pattern I very much like the chaotic visual interest. To me that is alot better than having a plan of action and knowing up front what it will look like. With a scrappy you don't know what it will look like.

My Wednesday sew group wanted me to bring them today and I was shocked they really liked them. All these gals prefer the traditional way of quilting for the most part and guess reason I was suprised.

To me creating a scrappy is done in love, pain, or whatever emotion you are feeling at the time it is being created. Very much like a artist with his paints and paper.
    Old 07-06-2011, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by deedum
    I am very free spirited, scrappies are just that!
    Exactly! I have always been a free spirit as well and reason I go in that direction in creating a quilt.
    Old 07-06-2011, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    because scrappy is REAL...everything else is a carbon copy, cookie cutter, Good housekeeping seal of approval quilt...

I just love scrappy..BUT I have done the cookie cutter ones too...depends on what needs to be done!

Very well put!
    Old 07-06-2011, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    because scrappy is REAL...everything else is a carbon copy, cookie cutter, Good housekeeping seal of approval quilt...

I just love scrappy..BUT I have done the cookie cutter ones too...depends on what needs to be done!

Very well put!
    Old 07-06-2011, 04:07 PM
    Power Poster

I started out making coordinated quilts, picking the fabric carefully so everything matched and was coordinated. I only vaguely remember quilts my Mother made, probably because they were practical and worn out by the time I came along, I was the youngest of 7 children, 5 brothers and one sister. We had a family friend who made quilts, as well as "scrappy" pieced aprons shaped like upside down tulips on her treadle machine. Many years later I wanted to make a quilt for a family reunion and everyone sent in fabrics of their own choosing. That was hard for someone like me, but as time goes on, I find that as much as I love making coordinated quilts with hand-picked fabrics and colors, I love the challenge of making quilts with fabrics that I haven't chosen. Scrappy, coordinated, art quilts, whatever floats your boat, do what your heart feels is right. Besides, everyone in my family looks forward to the quilts I make and I am passing down part of me to my family.
    Old 07-06-2011, 04:34 PM

I just love a lot of colors, esp. brights.
    Old 07-06-2011, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
    Just curious what makes people like them so much, me personally, I don't care for them, have seen a few beautiful ones, but just wonder the appeal. Would like to know why you love them or have no intesrest
    Because I don't always have the money to buy yards of fabric, but I have lots of scraps that need to be used and don't cost anything. It also brings fond memories of quilts from other quilts I have made.