Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Scrappy quilts >
  • Scrappy quilts

• Scrappy quilts

Old 07-05-2011, 08:42 PM
    Banned

because scrappy is REAL...everything else is a carbon copy, cookie cutter, Good housekeeping seal of approval quilt...

I just love scrappy..BUT I have done the cookie cutter ones too...depends on what needs to be done!
    Old 07-05-2011, 08:42 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    I was recently directed to Bonnie Hunter's site. She uses crumbs/scraps to make gorgeous quilts. Here is the link: http://quiltville.com/trunkshow.shtml

Who would ever think that scraps or crumbs could be use to make some beautiful quilts. You will be very surprised! Have fun looking at her list and posts of pictures!
    isn't Bonnie and instigator? I have over 150 men's shirts to cut up now due to Bonnie egging me on....hehehehe
    Old 07-05-2011, 08:47 PM

I started off being intimidated with scrappies because I had to have everything so matchy/matchy! Had to learn to let go and just enjoy the fabrics. There is no one correct design. I actually love all quilts, designs and fabrics.

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
    Just curious what makes people like them so much, me personally, I don't care for them, have seen a few beautiful ones, but just wonder the appeal. Would like to know why you love them or have no intesrest
    Old 07-05-2011, 08:56 PM

Scrappy quilts make a lot more sense to me than buying a ton of fat quarters. They use up fabric that you already have, therefore are economical and environmentally friendly! The end result is a variety of colors and textures which is what is desirable in most quilts.
    Old 07-05-2011, 08:59 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by manley
    I make them because I just hate to waste any fabric. I mostly use them to make string quilts, log cabins. etc. And yes, you get to break all the rules. Just fun I think :D
    DITTO... I love to use up all the 'scraps' I have.. Why waste when I can make something unique and one of a kind. I love that I can break every rule: selvages used, off grain and wonky cut pieces, orphan blocks just to name a few..
    Old 07-05-2011, 09:00 PM

I agree with jillnjo. Scrappies are best with a planned design and thought given to colors.
    Old 07-05-2011, 09:32 PM

Their old fashioned charm is very appealing to me.
    Old 07-06-2011, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish
    I personally think there is love in every stitch of any handmade quilt, regardless of whether it's scrappy or not. I think for a lot of people, the appeal of scrappy is using up little bits of fabric that might otherwise be thrown out.
    I agree 100%. I like using what others would throw out.

I suppose that "scrappy" quilt makers also compost, if they garden. (In fact, I ask for other people's grass clippings!)

:)
    Old 07-06-2011, 12:42 AM

easy to make very forgiving and more cost effective when low on $$
    Old 07-06-2011, 02:10 AM

I like both scrappy and planned quilts. But, the scrappy draws me because I am of a frugal mindset and like to use every tiny little scrap for something. Also, I find that while I am working on these, they do not look like much ... but when finished and quilted, people like them better than the planned ones. They go through and pick out their favorite pieces and talk about them and touch them.

I made a rail fence with 1930's scraps and there was one piece of Dick and Jane that had the word "go" on it. I was going to leave it out, but needed one more piece and had to put it in. The lady that the quilt was given to would turn it around and around until she found that piece every time. It was funny to me that I had nearly not put that in.

Scrap quilts seem to have a comforting factor to some ... like mac and cheese to kids or something. How strange that sounds ... but it is true.

Nearly all of my scrap quilts are for elders, sick, children, soldiers, etc. The custom made quilts (unless done from a deceased's clothing) are usually a planned arrangement.

Something to be said for both ways.