Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Scrappy quilts >
  • Scrappy quilts

• Scrappy quilts

Old 07-06-2011, 06:09 AM

When I started quilting, I couldn't afford to go out and buy enough fabric for a quilt from a quilt shop. I think it would still probably give me a heart attack to buy $200 or $300 worth of material at once for one quilt.

I am now buying more LQS fabric, but still don't really follow patterns per se. My first 5 or 6 quilts were scrappy log cabins. I'm doing a scrappy GFG right now for my hand quilting project. It's fun just grabbing bits of fabric and sewing them together.
    Old 07-06-2011, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Arleners
    scrap quilts are the origins of quilting itself. Back in the day, quilts were made from the scraps left over from sewing clothing, and "recycling" the useable parts of old clothing. I think the Colonials would be horrifed at the idea of us buying new fabric and cuttring it up into patterns.
    I agree. Out here on the prairie women could not afford to go the general store and buy fabric for quilts. I always picture a wife/mother sitting in her rocker by the fire in the evening in their prairie sod house with her small box of scraps and outgrown clothing. She is cutting and sewing by hand each piece of fabric. My favorite old quilts are those where she cut the largest piece she could from each scrap and the quilt has all different sizes of pieces.
    Old 07-06-2011, 06:38 AM

Nostalgia is big with me. I like thinking that I'm not wasting any fabric, too. It makes me think of all the wonderful quilts women (and a few men!) made years ago with so little. I have so much in comparison, yet their quilts were fabulous in their simplicity.
    Old 07-06-2011, 07:01 AM

I love scrappy. Gets my creative juices flowing and makes it so interesting.
    Old 07-06-2011, 07:14 AM

Historcally quilts that were made were all scrappy. The pioneers did not have often have a place to buy fabric at or they lived to far from town or had no money. the pioneers would use the material that they had: clothes that did not fit anyone, sheets, and what not. Even the stuff that they put into the quilt to make it warm was whatever they had on hand: leaves, grass, old clothes, old coats and what ever. They used everything they had to make something warm. It's a piece of our history, plus tehre is alot of love sewn into every scrappy quilt. Some scrappy quilt look better than other scrappy quilts, but they are meant to be used and if someone doesn't have money to buy new material to make a quilt out of, than use the scraps that you have in your stash. I just made two baby quilts out of material that I already had in my stash. The batting was left over from other quilts that I have made, the backing also already on hand. I made the two quilts and tehy cost me nothing to make. Now I have two lovely quilts for my cousins new grandchildren (twins - a bou and a girl). What more can I say? I'll add pictures later as I'm at work now and the pic are at home.
    Old 07-06-2011, 08:00 AM

Me personally, I really like them. They remind me of quilts from long ago. Quilts my grandmother used to make. They couldn't go to the store and buy fabric, that was a luxury. They had to use old clothes and whatever they had laying around. Quilts were originally made for warmth not looks. So that is why I like them.
    Old 07-06-2011, 08:03 AM

"Eons" ago, scraps of any available fabric were repurposed for quilts and the economy of that warms my heart and fills my purse. I don't think there's anything cozier than a scrappy backed in muslin!
    Old 07-06-2011, 08:29 AM

I don't care either way. I don know if I ever make one but, happy for anyone who like them. Thank you for sharing .
    Old 07-06-2011, 08:50 AM

I like to use up beautiful and not so great fabric. Even sometimes the was-I-insane-when-I-bought-this? material. I make quilts for grown ups that are large enough for a nap, too big for a lap, and not big enough for a bed. Then I hear about a sick friend or someone who needs a hug and give them the quilt instead of a card.
    Old 07-06-2011, 08:55 AM

I love all quilts but I think I like the freedom of scrappy the best. Anything gioes really. A girl in our guild got me hooked on scrappy a few years ago and I love them. My girls both call them crappy quilts but the one I made this spring for myself, yes, Winding Roads , has become a favorite. I have completed 2 tops now and have 3 more on the go. I have had to work another scrappy in there just for a change but they keep asking me to make the Winding Roads.Both of my girls have asked for a top and in return they will do some quilting for me. I do alot of chain peicing to make my blocks. Very relaxing and that is what my mind needs at this time.
    It does get very addictive.