Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Scrappy quilts >
  • Scrappy quilts

• Scrappy quilts

Old 01-05-2013, 04:12 PM

Smile Scrappy quilts

I would like to learn about scrappy quilts - I am fairly new at quilting & know nothing about them except that I can use up lots of my stash (or at least some of it). Can someone help me with this? The best book(s) or whatever.
    Would appreciate any help that you can offer. Many thanks & Happy New Year to each & everyone on this board.
    I love this site.
    Old 01-05-2013, 04:22 PM

Search on the forum for scrappy quilts and you will find LOTS!
    Old 01-05-2013, 04:26 PM

Bonnie Hunter has lots of free scrappy quilts, along with great ways to organize your scraps.
    Old 01-05-2013, 04:27 PM

Go to quiltville.com. That is Bonnie Hunter's site
    Old 01-05-2013, 05:35 PM

Almost any quilt pattern could be made with scraps, in my opinion. I suggest typing in Free Scrap Quilt Patterns in your search bar and just beginning to explore the endless possibilities. You can do anything from two color quilts (like all varieties of reds and whites) to using a different piece of fabric for every piece (a postage stamp quilt is an example). Plus, as others have stated, the board itself is a great source of information and examples. But, beware, you are most likely going to have a blast and spend hours upon hours just looking at all of the fabulous quilts everyone have created. Welcome to the group and hopefully you will fall in love with the process of creating Scrap Quilts!
    Old 01-05-2013, 05:53 PM

You can look at these two sites, at all the the scrappy quilts that have been shared here on the board;

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t135936.html

http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums17535.html

I also agree that quiltville.com is a great place for scrap quilts and Bonnie is great about explaining things clearly (plus pictures for us that like visuals).
    Old 01-05-2013, 08:22 PM

Go look at some of these videos they are great to learn from Hope this helps

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/activity.php
    Old 01-06-2013, 07:40 AM

I got a book from the library from Gai Perry called "Color from the Heart." It had a project where you made a pillow out of two inch squares. You cut them up, put them in a bag, pulled them out at random and set them out to sew together. You were allowed to make one or two swaps of squares if you felt it necessary, but it was a lesson in letting go and accepting true scrappiness.

If the design sitting before you really rubbed you wrong, you could put all the pieces back in the bag and start over. That's what I had to do, and surprisingly I liked it a lot better the second time around. I still treasure that pillow, it was a good learning experience.
    Old 01-06-2013, 08:21 AM

Default This is my go to scrappy quilt pattern and a couple of pics tute to follow one day

Hi Callen,

This is a perfect and easy scrappy quilt pattern. I have been taming my scraps with this pattern over the winter break from school. The pattern is the pdf file.
    Attached Thumbnails dscn0102.jpg  
    Attached Files
    File Type: pdf
    Scan0017.pdf (421.7 KB, 226 views)
    Old 01-06-2013, 08:32 AM

Hi C.....what I do is look at patterns I like and try and see if it can be done using scraps...i always use one fabric to bring everything together....the possibilities are endless.....I don`t really have one particular book I use....there are lots of ideas here as well....my favorite way is sewing scraps on adding machine paper strips and cutting those up to make my quilts.....good luck....
    Originally Posted by callen
    I would like to learn about scrappy quilts - I am fairly new at quilting & know nothing about them except that I can use up lots of my stash (or at least some of it). Can someone help me with this? The best book(s) or whatever.
    Would appreciate any help that you can offer. Many thanks & Happy New Year to each & everyone on this board.
    I love this site.