Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Scraps, out of hand >
  • Scraps, out of hand

• Scraps, out of hand

Old 04-05-2016, 11:04 AM

You might try offering packs of scraps for the cost of postage to new QB members on the yard-sale page.
    Old 04-05-2016, 11:06 AM

I almost always have a crumb or string quilt going on the side so that uses up any scraps that aren't large enough to turn into "pre cuts".

Rob
    Old 04-05-2016, 12:35 PM

I don't seem to have very many scraps, but that may be because if it is big enough to fold then it goes back in its spot as stash. Lol!
    Old 04-05-2016, 12:58 PM
    Power Poster

I made 10 scrappy quilts last years and just made more scraps. I used up about 10 or more 1-2 yd. pieces and donated them all. I made my Great Granddaughter a crib size or a bit larger.
    For weeks I cut the rest into 7-5-1/2-5-4-1/2-4 -3/12 and 3" squares. Tons of 2-1/2" strips and 2" and under strips. The off falls are for piano key borders. On top of that I have rements, lots and a bunch of large yardage pieces. If I live to be 3-4 hundred years old and can still sew I may use up most of it.
    Old 04-05-2016, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by sewingsuz
    I few years ago, I sorted my scraps by like fabric. Boys, girls, country, woodies, flowers, patriotic, Christmas, animals, fall, baby and more. I did make a few scrap quilts from these but yesterday I last week I decided to cut my scraps in sizes somewhat like Bonnie Hunter's method. I got some out and pressed and cutting took 6 hours. Now I combine all my scraps in bags and I have 5 large garbage bags to do. I will increase the different sizes I will cut. I never knew I had so much scraps. We pay for those also. I just don't make quilts and some of things I make I sell at craft sales. I have enough scraps to make quilts forever. What a job! I let it go Too Long!

Well, just send those lovely scraps to me!!
    Scrap quilts are my favorite
    Old 04-05-2016, 01:15 PM

I used to belong to a group that made quilty stuff for charities. Leftovers we put in a pillow case and gave to the local Vet. They really seemed to appreciate the "pet beds".
    Old 04-05-2016, 05:36 PM

With a full time job, I only get into my sewing room for a short time each day. I have been cutting fabric since the beginning of January; here it is April. My husband walks by and sees me in the mess of scraps, pressing, cutting, and shakes his head!...I haven't sewed this entire 2016. This is crazy! CRAZY! I have one large shopping bag full of various types of fabric bags that I am donating. Not even a dent. Like everyone, I didn't know I had this much fabric.
    Old 04-05-2016, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt
    I did that earlier this year. I had cut my scraps into 2 1/2" strips of varying lengths. I started sewing and made 19 tops .. They were really pretty. I donated them to a group that will quilt them for battered women. I have to say my scraps are growing again!
    I'd say you had quite a few 2.5" strips! 19 tops is no small feat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Old 04-07-2016, 04:49 AM

Deedum, thanks for posting about the video. Makes a great leader ender project! I am cutting down my scraps this week because I have a guild class on Saturday with Pat Sloan and we are to bring scraps. Lots she said- laundry baskets are welcome. So I am taking cut pieces, random pieces and pieces to share. I have even started saving the thin strips from quilts and making clothesline baskets.
    Originally Posted by deedum
    I am making this scrappy. Love this video on scraps.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mERO...KAFjw&index=12

Last edited by AUQuilter; 04-07-2016 at 04:53 AM.
    Old 04-07-2016, 05:56 AM

Scraps sell well on Instagram. Lots of people love to buy scraps. I buy them when I see ones I like.