Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • scraps....Scraps.....SCRAPS.... >
  • scraps....Scraps.....SCRAPS....

• scraps....Scraps.....SCRAPS....

Old 02-05-2014, 09:38 AM

take a look at this thread: Scrappy Quilt show - Right Here!!
    lots of good ideas posted here ... and you can add yours to it for others to enjoy.
    Old 02-05-2014, 09:45 AM

I would love to be organized and have all my scraps cut up according to size, but I have this fear that they will not be the correct size for the project I choose in the future, so I just collect mine in shoe boxes if they are 8 x 10 or smaller. If they are fat quarter size or slightly smaller, I fold them and stack them in baskets on end so I can see what I have.

The only scraps that I have that are cut to a specific size are the charms that I've been collecting for almost 2 years now through a blog swap. I have either 3400 or 3600 of 2" squares kept in a separate shoe box for a postage stamp quilt.
    Old 02-05-2014, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
    It can be daunting to try to tame all the scraps at once. It might help if you select a pattern that you want to make with your scraps, and start to cut the shapes that will be needed for that pattern. That way you will have a goal in mind and after a lot of the scraps are cut you can alternate sewing with cutting, and won't get so bored or overwhelmed.
    This is such an excellent idea!! I had begun to cut scraps by cutting into strips, then I wondered if I would have needed scraps in bigger pieces and they would be cut down already.
    Old 02-05-2014, 02:14 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I separate my scraps into usable sizes and i will trim them down to specific sizes ..Ill cut them with my go and I store them in totes/tubs/bins and when they get full ill make them into something.... It becomes overwhelming for me to start with searching for scraps for a specific pattern.. One day ill sort.. One day Ill cut with the go.. One day ill sew away.. I break them up into days.. IMHO its less aggravating and removes the all at once feeling..

Good luck.
    Old 02-05-2014, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by mighty
    I never cut my scraps until I am ready to use them.
    Neither do I. However, I do keep them somewhat organized (in big plastic bins) by colors. All my Kansas troubles and Civil War fabrics go in one bin, brights (pinks, purples, yellows, etc) go in another bin, and neutrals in a separate bin. That way, when I am looking for some certain colors of scraps, I can find them easier.
    Old 02-05-2014, 05:28 PM

All my scraps go, uncut, into a large clear plastic bin. Half the fun of making a scrap quilt for me is rooting around in the bin and finding fabric scraps I had forgotten I even had.

Anita
    Old 02-05-2014, 07:20 PM

I made a lot of Cutezie things in the past to sell at shows so I sorted my scraps in bundles of like themes as in girls, boys, babies, xmas, easter, 4th of july, safari, woodsy,Valentines and so on. I wrap the bundle with cotton kitchen twine and put half sheet of paper with the title under the twine and put those bundles in a large plastic bin. I have used some bundles like this for quilted items. It works for me like this. I don't cut my scraps until I know what I am going to make. I keep my plain color pieces by color on the shelf.
    Old 02-05-2014, 07:32 PM

I separated mine into colors, and made my applique sunbonnet sue quilt and a butterfly quilt. Neither quilt cost me a cent to make (at the time, lol ). Now I have only one box of scraps. What to make now, what can I make now?
    Old 02-05-2014, 09:10 PM

Absolutely love Bonnie Hunters system. I have quilted for nearly 40 years and I have an unbelievable amount of scraps. I am still cutting up fabric, and will be for several years I think. But I've also made a lot of quilts quickly because I already had the fabric cut up -- I'm more productive now. I cut 10" sq., 5" sq., 3 1/2 " strips, 2 1/2", 2" and 1 1/2" strips. I also have a bunch of triangles left over from prior quilts. It's a great project when I just want to do something 'mindless', with an old movie on, my small table top ironing board and iron at my right hand to press, and just go to it. Try an experiment to see if it would work for you - find just one type of fabric, like maybe kids fabric scraps, and cut those up in 5" squares, and then whatever you have left, cut into the strips. Make sure you have a nice big pile, including prints, solids, etc. Leave those somewhere where you can see them everyday, all nicely sorted and stacked up. Bet you do what I did and "wow - I could make a great......". For me, its I Spy quilts for babies and kids - they LOVE those. I make a lot of small quilts for babies & kids, and have made several for adults, too, as I have scraps from the 40's all the way to current date.
    Old 02-05-2014, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by justducky65
    I would love to be organized and have all my scraps cut up according to size, but I have this fear that they will not be the correct size for the project I choose in the future, so I just collect mine in shoe boxes if they are 8 x 10 or smaller. If they are fat quarter size or slightly smaller, I fold them and stack them in baskets on end so I can see what I have.

The only scraps that I have that are cut to a specific size are the charms that I've been collecting for almost 2 years now through a blog swap. I have either 3400 or 3600 of 2" squares kept in a separate shoe box for a postage stamp quilt.
    That must be a pretty big shoe box. I think it's time to stop and try and make something!!