Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • scraps....Scraps.....SCRAPS.... >
  • scraps....Scraps.....SCRAPS....

• scraps....Scraps.....SCRAPS....

Old 02-05-2014, 10:31 PM

I like to make log cabin quilts with my scraps but only separate into lights and darks. I then start cutting the 2 1/2 strips for that until I think I have enough for a lap quilt. I have tons of scraps left, but I am going to tame them. I have make two queen size quilts out of some of them and working on a baby quilt, plus I gave away a big trash bag full to a friend last week.
    Old 02-06-2014, 04:48 AM

Me too! Have three bins....solids, darks, lights. When I need something, I go digging!! It's a mess but it works for me!!
    Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt
    All my scraps go, uncut, into a large clear plastic bin. Half the fun of making a scrap quilt for me is rooting around in the bin and finding fabric scraps I had forgotten I even had.

Anita
    Old 02-06-2014, 04:53 AM

DONATE. They become overwhelming! I donate two trash bags a year to local charity quilters. No way will I spend time cutting them up, etc. But I don't do "scrappy".

Sandy
    Old 02-06-2014, 05:10 AM

I save my scraps by cutting them into 2 1/2" strips, or 5" squares. I store them in plastic shoeboxes that I get at $ General for $1.00 each. I try to do it once a month, but I am not too good about sticking to that. I have a lot to cut up right now. It will take me an entire day to get them all cut up.
    Old 02-06-2014, 05:30 AM

I finally gave up on my zilllion scraps and made dog beds out of them for the local shelter. It sure felt good to put them to a good use and clear my space for , yes, more fabric
    Old 02-06-2014, 05:36 AM

DebbE, I was just thinking about all the kids' fabric I have and how nice it would be to have everything precut. I have quite a few strips left from the wickedly easy quilt block I just finished, and I think I'll spend an afternoon cutting 6.5 inch kid fabric squares for some quick I spy's. Thanks for reinforcing my idea.
    Old 02-06-2014, 06:00 AM

This is a vexing problem-especially as I look at two containers of scraps that have such a variety of themes from past quilts I have made. I am afraid to cut them into specific squares and strips-what if I choose a pattern and don't have the right size? I am thinking that I will choose two or three scrappy patterns (I like to be in control rather than be really random) and put the pattern in a box (12 quart size). Then, I will tackle the scraps and cut them according to the pattern needs. Hopefully, this might work. I will let you know about progress later.
    Old 02-06-2014, 07:11 AM

I love to just sit down at my sewing machine and start sewing scraps together. I never have a pattern just an idea.[ATTACH=CONFIG]460761[/ATTACH]This is the last one I did. I usually have scraps that are the same width sorted. This quilt started with 5 inch sq. left from MIL stash.
    I am working on blocks that are made from 1 1/2 inch wide strips by at least 5 inches long.So far I have 300 blocks done. Now I need to lay them out to see how they will go together.[ATTACH=CONFIG]460762[/ATTACH]It will be a really scrappy quilt.There was no matching just sewed what ever was at hand. judy
    Attached Thumbnails quilt-018.jpg   new-projects-2014-004.jpg  
    Old 02-06-2014, 07:12 AM

have you ever heard of crumbing.... I love it.... can use any size scrap.... who sorts????
    Old 02-06-2014, 07:21 AM
    Power Poster

I cut mine into 2 1/2" strips and 21/2" squares...They store easy and are ready to go when you need them...