Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Scratching My Head in Houston! >
  • Scratching My Head in Houston!

• Scratching My Head in Houston!

Old 06-14-2012, 11:12 AM

Default Scratching My Head in Houston!

Well, I finally finished my grandmother's flower garden quilt top. The first row has 9 flowers, the second row 8 flowers on and on with the last row having 9 flowers. There are a total of 77 flowers and the quilt top measures 103" x 103"

For the side of the quilt, I made an insert to finish each side. I want to do sew a facing and trim down to turn under in order to retain the scalloped look. My dilemma is, the top and bottom of the quilt is not uniform like the sides of the quilt. I am attaching a picture of my quilt top. The left side of the picture shows the sides of the quilt top. The bottom of the pictures shows how the top and bottom of the quilt looks. My question is, should I square off the top and bottom of the quilt and do a facing for the sides? I would appreciate any suggestions.

My plan is to hand quilt the top.
    Attached Thumbnails grandmothers.jpg  
    Old 06-14-2012, 11:20 AM
    Power Poster

With a facing, you can preserve the beautiful scallops on the top and bottom. I would NOT square them off.

Here's a demo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwPe_84GBfY
    Old 06-14-2012, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by kathyclark9511
    Well, I finally finished my grandmother's flower garden quilt top. The first row has 9 flowers, the second row 8 flowers on and on with the last row having 9 flowers. There are a total of 77 flowers and the quilt top measures 103" x 103"

For the side of the quilt, I made an insert to finish each side. I want to do sew a facing and trim down to turn under in order to retain the scalloped look. My dilemma is, the top and bottom of the quilt is not uniform like the sides of the quilt. I am attaching a picture of my quilt top. The left side of the picture shows the sides of the quilt top. The bottom of the pictures shows how the top and bottom of the quilt looks. My question is, should I square off the top and bottom of the quilt and do a facing for the sides? I would appreciate any suggestions.

My plan is to hand quilt the top.
    You need to do some sort of partial block (like the insert on the sides) to get the look you're wanting.