Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Screwdriver? >
  • Screwdriver?

• Screwdriver?

Old 09-09-2014, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by sahansen44
    I use a quarter for removing the screws on the plate and needle of my babylock. The thickness is just right; size big enough to hold onto and small enough to fit under the machine head.
    I use a dime for my brother machine, I always say it is the best and cheapest tool to get the plate off.
    Old 09-09-2014, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    My Bernina 440 has a throat plate that you press on the corner to disengage the clasps. Yes, no screws to remove! Wonderful innovation in my opinion!
    My Janome Horizon has this also. Such a great time saver!
    Old 09-09-2014, 09:04 AM

I have a babylock Grace. I HATE my round stubby screwdriver.

It has a hole in the middle, right where you need to be able to grip it. But if you grip an edge, you're off center & the blade slips out of the slot.

stupidest thing...
    Old 09-09-2014, 09:22 AM

I have such a hard time with my Brother. The screws were in so tight I thought I would never get them to turn and with that little excuse of a screw driver it had it just wouldn't work. With RA in my hands I was at a loss as what to do. I finally used a dime and needle nosed pliers and got them loose. I am going to Low's and see what I can find there. You would think that the price they get for those machines they could at least provide a good screw driver.
    Old 09-09-2014, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by AliKat
    While I don't have that machine I might be able to add a bit. I needed to clean out one of my machines byt standard screwdrivers did not fit. So, I put the machine in my car and went to the neares BIG Ace Hardware and they found the correct screwdrivers. Yes, plural as I needed two different sizes. They even carried the machine to and from my car. They were so nice it was wonderful.
    Don't you love ACE! I've never carried a sewing machine in, but I have gone in with some "I've got a hair brained idea and need something that will.........." and so far, they've always come up with a suitable solution. They do think about snickering sometimes, but they save it until I'm outside!
    Old 09-09-2014, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by crafty pat
    I have such a hard time with my Brother. The screws were in so tight I thought I would never get them to turn and with that little excuse of a screw driver it had it just wouldn't work. With RA in my hands I was at a loss as what to do. I finally used a dime and needle nosed pliers and got them loose. I am going to Low's and see what I can find there. You would think that the price they get for those machines they could at least provide a good screw driver.
    The plate under the foot (CRS!) on mine is NEVER screwed down tight any more. I finger tighten as best I can and let it go. It doesn't really have an stress on it, so almost loose works well.
    Old 09-09-2014, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Wonnie
    Wow! Here I thought I was the only one that could not use that ridiculous little screwdriver. I agree it's useless. Curious to know how you were able to get in touch with anyone from BL. When I tried was told by my dealer that there wasn't a main office....that my machine could have been made in any of a number of countries. Tried to get it serviced by another quilt shop when I had a problem and was told I had to go back to the dealer I purchased my machine from. Anyone else heard that?
    I went to BL web site and went to bottom where it says "contact". They promptly sent replies to each one. Today I sent another one and suggested they look on forums from owners thoughts about the screwdriver and hinted that they could send a proper screwdriver that they suggested. Most products have a 1 800 # for complaints which I have used and got free coupons in the past. Now its easier to send a email. My dealer sells bl and bernina but will fix any machine and is has always been helpful until the screwdriver issue. Theother shop in town sells vikings and was rude to me and very rude to a friend that bought a high end machine from him.
    Old 09-09-2014, 12:27 PM

Wow. Rep from BL just called me and wrote down my complaint and said she is giving it Charlie their QA.
    Old 09-09-2014, 06:46 PM

I have a Viking and to change the needle treader I had to buy a $10. set of screw drivers to get one that fit the part. the threader was $6
    Old 09-09-2014, 07:58 PM

Cacus Stitchin -This is just what would be perfect.

Last edited by bjdemir; 09-09-2014 at 08:00 PM.