Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • In search of constructive criticism >
  • In search of constructive criticism

• In search of constructive criticism

Old 04-27-2018, 02:24 PM

You're a beginner quilter and your block looks that good? Congratulations! You're off to a very good start. I first noticed your lovely fabrics and the block choice. I'm with the others who are impressed with how well this turned out, given your lack of experience.

Nothing to add here, just chiming in on what works for me:

1. Take two scrap strips (maybe 6" long) and sew about 2 inches. Then measure with a ruler to see if you have exacty 1/4". If not , adjust a little for another 2" . Measure. Don't veer off at the bottom--stay straight. Most times the veering happens when we get too excited about being "almost at the end!"

2. I use a 1/4" quilting foot on my machine. It saves a lot of time (no measuring involved).

3. I use Elmer's glue to get points matched. It's a personal preference--pinning accurately works well, too, but with glue, there's nothing to remove, nothing to accidentally run over, nothing to poke you.

4. Don't rip out your first block's mistakes unless you are very short on fabric. The points are not drastically off, and if you use this block to practice quilting as well as piecing, it'd make a lovely pillow cover. Or just keep going with the next block and don't worry about this first. Think of it as your kindergarten block, and move on to first grade!

5. Be careful before taking apart something more than twice. The fabric near the seam will start to fray. I found that if I rip something more than twice, it gets frustratingly wonky. Decide what you can live with.

Best wishes as you progress!
    Old 04-27-2018, 02:30 PM

I love the colors and fabric you chose!
    Old 04-27-2018, 02:34 PM
    Power Poster

A comment about the 1/4"quilting foot -

verify that it actually is 1/4 inch - some are "off" by a bit -

Rulers can - eventually get worn -

Change your rotary cutter blade when it gets dull. Use appropriate sewing machine needles for your project - and change them when they get dull. When you hear thunk, thunk, thunk - as you stitch - it is time to change your needle.

Read the instruction manual that came with your machine.
    Old 04-27-2018, 05:20 PM

So many wonderful ideas shared here... I love all of the positive, constructive criticism

I really like how your floral and red fabrics work together in this block. I am learning, as well, from the great advice shared already. I’m just under one year sewing/quilting myself and will emphasize what’s been helpful to me as I, too, am trying to get my points lined up, blocks laying flat and finishing at the correct size.

The recommendations that have made the biggest improvement to my accuracy, so far:

#1 - Cutting accurately is the first, necessary step for accurate results - ruler ON the fabric not off the edge.

#2 - Use sharp rotary blades and needles - I change them out more often now than when I started.

#3 - I pin often but will now try the glue method - it’s about keeping the fabrics in place.

#4 - Now I instinctively use a stiletto to keep things moving straight under the needle (didn’t when I started)

#5 - I use a Seam Gauge to set my machines seam guide - the gauge is a plastic tool you fit under your needle usedto
    line up the metal guide that screws into the bed of the machine and guides the fabrics accurately through the needle.

#6 - I do a test every time I start a project to ensure I’m getting an accurate seam allowance with the fabric, thread and needle I’m using for that project (so many little things can alter your seam and final block size). I cut three strips of the fabric From my project at 1 1/2” wide and sew them together (side-by-side) press seams to one side and measure total width to confirm 3 1/2” across if not, adjust guide, repeat process until accurate.

#7 - I starch everything - my fabric before cutting it, my blocks as I piece them. Everything sews together so much better at each stage when pressed with starch. Be very careful when pressing and sewing fabrics on the bias as it distorts easily.

#8 - I have found having the right tools can help improve your accuracy and increase your enjoyment while on your quilting adventure, Example: invest in the same brand of basic cutting rulers - I like Creative Grids. Same brand because different brands do not measure exactly the same - we need consistently. Also, I’ve found certain specialty rulers can really help with certain blocks. Example: flying geese blocks, curved blocks, etc.

#9 - Use quality thread and use it consistently when piecing - I like aurifil 50 wt but know there are many other good brands available - my point is to find something you like and to use it consistently if it’s working well for you.

#10 - I committed to doing the Bonnie Hunter Mystery in November because I read it’s a fantastic way to learn how to piece well - there’s a thread on here that is wonderful to follow along with fellow QBers. I’m almost done putting the top together and have learned more doing this mystery than anything else. My first blocks are far from perfect but I made a second batch to enlarge the quilt and they are soooo much more accurate because of all I learned thru the process! I highly recommend committing to do one of her mystery quilts and to gather all the expertise shared by those far wiser on this board - incredibly helpful for a newer person to learn, keep motivated and realize you CAN do this!

It’s no wonder I’m repeating what others might have already mentioned - I have learned all that I know by following the lead of the wonderful folks on this board for the past 10 months I think the unspoken rule is that we all must pay it forward to the next generation of members on here. Lastly, have fun and keep sharing with us so we can all learn together!

Christine
    Old 04-27-2018, 06:36 PM
    Power Poster

pre-soaking and washing the washable components is an absolute must for me - to get rid of excess dye and to get most of the shrinkage out of the fabric.

I have found that fabrics do not shrink at the same rate - and I prefer the flat as possible look in my finished items.

Some unwashed fabrics will shrink when pressed with steam.
    Old 04-27-2018, 08:03 PM

I've read most of the posts, but haven't found one that stresses how important the trimming is. After the block is sewn and crisply pressed, the ruler is laid on it so that the diagonal line on the ruler is directly over the diagonal sewn line of the block. Then you need to check to see that there is room on all four sides for the size you need. Then trim the top and one side. Turn the block around so that the other point is up. Now there are three lines that need to be lined up exactly. The diagonals should line up, but the bottom and one side should line up exactly. Then you can trim the other two sides. If you have a turning mat, that would help and so would a ruler that is the exact size you want your block to be.

I got rid of "swinging" by using my stiletto (purple thang, chopstick, end of a seam ripper, little stick sharpened in the pencil sharpener, or what have you) to hold on to the very end as it goes into the needle. My treadle is really good at swinging those ends.

Using the glue is an excellent idea. And then sew through the cross hairs of the preceding line of stitching.
    Old 04-27-2018, 09:40 PM

So your points aren't perfect. Your color choices are great and the overall look of this block is very appealing. Just keep doing what you're doing and you will get better with practic. Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work.
    Old 04-28-2018, 06:12 AM
    Power Poster

I think it came out great. I have trouble keeping my seam from going less or more than 1/4 inch. I think that is why I shy away from triangles.
    Old 06-20-2018, 01:17 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

On your outside Churn Dash, the points have a 1/4 inch seam allowance for when you sew it to another block...then you’ll lose the seam. I think that is bothering you now. When it is all sewn together, it’ll look right. You don’t want to lose your points - have them cut off. The tips of the points should be showing, not sewn into the fabric. I had the hardest time losing my points forever. I still have to be mindful when I’m sewing points or I’ll sew the tip of a point into my fabric. I have seen other newbies do the same. It’s something you have to look out for. That is the only thing I see you having any kind of problem with. I am making this Double Churn Dash by Jenny Dean next. I have the jelly roll and background fabric all together to start it. I love your fabric and how you put red fabric in the middle of the little Churn Dash. Very flattering.
    Old 06-21-2018, 06:42 AM

I find for me when I have to make sure a point touches I'll make sure that is on top so I can keep an eye on it when I come to it. You can always fudge a little off on your seam to make it fit perfectly............at least I do anyway. For a beginner, you're doing great as you're trying new patterns. Most seem to use basic patterns of just plain squares put together so pat yourself on the back for going "outside your comfort zone".