Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Seating b locks.... >
  • Seating b locks....

• Seating b locks....

Old 02-13-2011, 04:59 PM

I leave the pins in....
    Old 02-13-2011, 05:34 PM

You should be able to Google E-Bay and see if anyone there has one.

peg-TX
    Old 02-13-2011, 05:38 PM

I pin my seams, when I get to the joint, I walk the needle over with the flywheel so I don't break the needle. After I am two stitches past the needle, I remove the pin. Seems to work for me.
    Old 02-13-2011, 05:38 PM

As suggested from someone else try using a stilletto . I use mine all the time.
    Old 02-13-2011, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mariah
    I realize this is a basic quilting question,but one I continue to have trouble with. When I sew rows of blocks together, I pin the joints and everything looks perfect. Then I tend to take out the pins as running over can cause broken needles.
    Can anyone suggest how to get your blocks lined up perfectly at the joints without so much back tracking; fixing blocks that moved.
    Thanks, Mariah.
    When I pin the seams, I put a pin straight up and down through the seam to make sure the seams are lined up. Not 'in and out' like you would normally pin a seam, just straight up and down. The pin a bit before the seam and a bit after and take out the up and down pin. Then sew s-l-o-w-l-y up to the pins and take them out BEFORE you hit the pin.
    Old 02-13-2011, 05:44 PM

I realize this is a basic quilting question,but one I continue to have trouble with. When I sew rows of blocks together, I pin the joints and everything looks perfect. Then I tend to take out the pins as running over can cause broken needles.
    Can anyone suggest how to get your blocks lined up perfectly at the joints without so much back tracking; fixing blocks that moved.
    Thanks, Mariah.
    When I pin the seams, I put a pin straight up and down through the seam to make sure the seams are lined up. Not 'in and out' like you would normally pin a seam, just straight up and down. The pin a bit before the seam and a bit after and take out the up and down pin. Then sew s-l-o-w-l-y up to the pins and take them out BEFORE you hit the pin. If you look at my avatar, you'll see that I had to do this MANY, MANY times, and it worked fine.
    Old 02-13-2011, 06:02 PM

Thanks, Mariah.
    Let's see if I can explain what I do. When the seams are locked together, I place a pin pretty close to the seam on both sides. Then when I'm sewing, I approach the first pin very slowly so as not to hit it. By this time I am on the seam allowance so that seam is not going anywhere because the needle is holding it in place. This is when I remove that first pin. I proceed slowly until my needle is on the seam and then I can remove the other pin. Clear?
    Old 02-13-2011, 06:11 PM

i finally bought a stilletto, and i use that to hold the seams together after i take out the pin.....really really helps line them up better....gina
    Old 02-13-2011, 06:15 PM

if you go to ebay and do a search for a walking foot for FW you will find some for under $30

thanks for your answer. I believe the stitch got too short. I was using this new gadget that makes snowballs, geese, ect, for the first time, and didn't notice the stitch got so short until I was taking some out.
    I need to get a walking foot. I know it would be a great investment. Believe for my featherweight it would be $125.00. I know it would solve a lot of problems.
    Thanks again!
    Mariah.
    Old 02-13-2011, 06:44 PM

You can use a walking foot for piecing? I thought it was only for quilting.