Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Second Machine >
  • Second Machine

• Second Machine

Old 04-27-2013, 03:56 AM

That's a take to class or thunder storm machine. I still keep sewing when it's bad weather and not worry about my computerized sewing machines then
    Old 04-27-2013, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by LDB
    I have recently come into a Bernette 46, a small, very basic machine. It doesn't have many bells and whistles, including the knee lift and automatic thread cutter, two features which I use all the time. I am really attached to the features of my Brother NX6500, which has these features. Perhaps I could use this for a raffle or quilting garage sale for the OMQG. My question is what do you all use a second machine for? I could use it to take to classes and whatnot, I suppose. My question is what do you all use a second machine for?
    Do you have a niece or grandchild interested I sewing? I gave my GD a used basic elna I found in pristine condition on Craigslist. She was interested in learning to sew. She has it set up next to her moms on a little table.
    Old 04-27-2013, 04:43 AM

Wish I had a good second machine.
    Someday I'm hoping to get one to take to classes.
    Old 04-27-2013, 04:57 AM

I have many machines, for many reasons, quilting, fancy stitches, harp area, power failures that last for anywhere from a day to 12 days or more....portability, how heavy a machine can you carry, maybe up a flight of stairs? Many reasons for multiple machines. All of them valid. That's my story and I am sticking to it.
    Old 04-27-2013, 05:01 AM

thunder storm machine. I still keep sewing when it's bad weather and not worry about my computerized sewing machines then [/QUOTE]

That's smart and a useful tip. I live in central florida where electrical storms are a regular event.
    Old 04-27-2013, 05:04 AM

Be Prepared is the Scout motto. When one machine is in the shop you still have another to help you along.. Also a lighter machine is easier to take to class. When there is a loss of power a treadle machine is the kind to have.. Hugs
    Old 04-27-2013, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Yooper32
    I have many machines, for many reasons, quilting, fancy stitches, harp area, power failures that last for anywhere from a day to 12 days or more....portability, how heavy a machine can you carry, maybe up a flight of stairs? Many reasons for multiple machines. All of them valid. That's my story and I am sticking to it.
    I agree, well said-my story too!!
    Old 04-27-2013, 11:28 AM

Well ladies, I have 2 machines . . . my original Bernina (mechanical purchased in 1981 & runs like a top!) used primarily for a "backup" when I take my Baby Lock Elegante for servicing. However, yesterday I visited our local Bernina dealer & fell "in love" with the 550 QE machine and am trying to really talk myself out of purchasing it!!! Can someone else help me (talk me out of bringing home ANOTHER sewing machine)!!??? Thanks, I just knew you'd help me out on this one!
    Old 04-27-2013, 11:45 AM

I have that same little Bernette. Although I usually take a Featherweight with me to classes or retreats, I do take the Bernette when I will need more than a straight stitch.
    Old 04-27-2013, 09:09 PM

I have a Bernina that is set up and is the one I use mainly. The one I used before is a mechanical machine a New Home. Right now my daughter has it up at college. My husband bought me a Singer from 1901. I haven't used that but he has to go get it out of storage. I wish it were a featherweight--but I am going to see if it will be any lighter than my Bernina. I really don't like lugging it around.