Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Second take on Flannel Bricks Pattern >
  • Second take on Flannel Bricks Pattern

• Second take on Flannel Bricks Pattern

Old 12-10-2018, 08:45 AM

Default Second Question

Thanks so much for the suggestions. It's for a teen-aged boy, so he won't be too picky. I think I will add some lights, as most all of these are darks.

bkay
    Old 12-10-2018, 08:53 AM
    Power Poster

bkay, I also think it will look great with your fabrics. You may want to incorporate a couple of solids to break it up.
    Old 12-10-2018, 09:22 AM

Default THe second question

The pattern instructions are to cut all fabrics into 6.5 X 3.5 bricks and then assemble into vertical strips, offsetting each strip by 1/2 a block.

Is there any reason I can't make strip sets and cut into 3.5 inch strips? (Most all the fabric I have is fat quarters.) By reversing the strips and mixing them up, wouldn't you get a good mix? (Maybe I didn't say that right. I hope you understand what I mean.) It seems like it would be easier and more consistent.

Depending on what I find, I was planning on buying "grunge" type fabrics. My favorite outlet had some Timeless Treasures flannel when I was there last. It was great fabric. It's a drive over there, though. Their minimum cut is a yard, and I don't have plans to make any more flannel quilts so I'll end up with flannel scraps.

bkay
    Old 12-10-2018, 09:29 AM

I am a scrapper and I think those would make a great quilt. You might want to buy a solid and use as a smashing. I would use left over pieces sewn together for binding!
    Old 12-10-2018, 09:46 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by bkay
    The pattern instructions are to cut all fabrics into 6.5 X 3.5 bricks and then assemble into vertical strips, offsetting each strip by 1/2 a block.

Is there any reason I can't make strip sets and cut into 3.5 inch strips? (Most all the fabric I have is fat quarters.) By reversing the strips and mixing them up, wouldn't you get a good mix? (Maybe I didn't say that right. I hope you understand what I mean.) It seems like it would be easier and more consistent.

Depending on what I find, I was planning on buying "grunge" type fabrics. My favorite outlet had some Timeless Treasures flannel when I was there last. It was great fabric. It's a drive over there, though. Their minimum cut is a yard, and I don't have plans to make any more flannel quilts so I'll end up with flannel scraps.

bkay
    When looking at the picture of the pattern I believe the instructions are incorrect and that you should be assembling in horizontal strips (take each 6.5 x 3.5 "brick" and sew them on the 3.5" side to create a long row of bricks. each row will measure 3.5" high by however long you decide to make it, determined by how many bricks you put in each row) and offset each horizontal strip by half a block when you join your assembled rows. If you make strip sets and then cut them you will lose the stacked brick look and will end up with a look similar to chinese coins.
    Old 12-10-2018, 09:48 AM

I might grab a few solids to coordinate, but I love the idea of most of them being patterned! Gorgeous set of flannels that will make a cozy quilt!
    Old 12-10-2018, 09:55 AM

I love all those plaids! Unless you've already decided for sure on the pattern, you could also check out some of Bonnie Hunter's plaid shirt quilts or Evelyn Sloppy's Plaid Obsession quilt. I don't think you'll go wrong whatever you choose!
    Old 12-10-2018, 10:26 AM

Sorry, a quilt with all those tiny pieces would never get finished at my house. Both of the quilt artists do a great job, but Jenny Doan is more my speed.
    Old 12-10-2018, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    When looking at the picture of the pattern I believe the instructions are incorrect and that you should be assembling in horizontal strips (take each 6.5 x 3.5 "brick" and sew them on the 3.5" side to create a long row of bricks. each row will measure 3.5" high by however long you decide to make it, determined by how many bricks you put in each row) and offset each horizontal strip by half a block when you join your assembled rows. If you make strip sets and then cut them you will lose the stacked brick look and will end up with a look similar to chinese coins.
    Maybe I used the wrong terms. You cut 6.5 X 3.5 bricks, then assemble them into strips that go top to bottom. Then you sew those strips together offsetting each strip by 1/2 a block. (I can't post a photo, as it's in a magazine.)

i was thinking you could make up strip sets of 6.5 inch wide fabrics (say 5 or 6 strips) and cut them into 3.5 inch strips, mix them up and turn them and get a good mix.

I'm going to try it. I can't see where it wouldn't work.

bk

Last edited by bkay; 12-10-2018 at 10:31 AM. Reason: duplicate paragraph
    Old 12-10-2018, 11:02 AM

I think your fabrics would be great for the brick pattern. I also agree that maybe a solid flannel would look good just to break up the dark fabrics. Love your pattern choice for these fabrics. Please share a picture when you have it done.