Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Seeking advice... what could we have done differently? >
  • Seeking advice... what could we have done differently?

• Seeking advice... what could we have done differently?

Old 10-14-2010, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    At the risk of opening myself up to a lot of criticism... could I ask the forum for customer service advice?

Here's the situation.

We had an international customer order 12 yards of a particular fabric (which we did have). For international shipping, it costs less to ship to flat-rate envelopes than it does to send it all together in one package. By a lot, actually: $43 versus $27.

So we e-mailed her to ask if she would prefer us to ship it all in one piece for an additional $16.

After a week had gone by with no reply, we e-mailed her again, asking the same question, and stating that if we did not hear from her in a couple more days, we would choose the less expensive option and send it as 6 yards each in two envelopes.

Now that she's received both packages, she is upset with us for having sent it in two pieces, plus she's upset for having to pay import fees on two packages instead of one.

Additional pertinent information:
    - we *did* have (and use) her correct e-mail address
    - for international orders our shopping cart calculates shipping based upon the number of flat-rate envelopes needed to hold the yardage purchased
    - it's not possible for us to know what each country charges in the way of import fees and taxes (though we do keep up on this for England and Canada because we have lots of customers there)

What do you think? How should we have handled this? What could we have done better?
    Did you have credit card information to charge the costs? Or was she to send you a check. If it was the credit card, I think I would have sent the full 12 yard pc. not knowing how it was to be used. But if you were to be sent a check, I think the fabric would still be sitting in the store. I understand you were trying to save her money, but cutting a pc of fabric in half really makes me cringe!
    Old 10-14-2010, 05:43 AM

You contacted your customer twice with no reply. Your in business, you did what you thought best. I think you were more then patient in waiting, (10 days). She must not have had very much regard for you or the fabric.
    You wanted to save her costs. Some customers are just unappriciative.
    I would just chalk the situation as an experience, and not worry yourself.
    Perhaps offer this customer a 20% discount on her next shopping order.
    Maybe also make a notation, to customers ordering in bulk, if they would like it in one piece or should you cut it to save them shipping
    If you loose her as a customer, there will be 2 more waiting to buy from you.
    I feel you handled this very well
    Old 10-14-2010, 05:52 AM

I would have emailed her once again and told her that you were going to hold the order until you received shipping confirmation from her. You were just trying to be nice and save her money, not knowing that there were additional charges to be paid on her end for two packages. Be safe next time and wait for confirmation. Sometimes when we try to be nice it backfires!
    Old 10-14-2010, 06:12 AM

One more comment: So if I order a blue shirt, and they are out, so the company sends me red because they think it looks prettier, should I be happy? Eat crow, appologize, and make it up to her. We are not all tied to email. She didn't NEED to respond because she had already ordered what she wanted, not what you wanted her to have.
    Old 10-14-2010, 06:24 AM

At the risk of opening myself up to a lot of criticism... could I ask the forum for customer service advice?

Here's the situation.

We had an international customer order 12 yards of a particular fabric (which we did have). For international shipping, it costs less to ship to flat-rate envelopes than it does to send it all together in one package. By a lot, actually: $43 versus $27.

So we e-mailed her to ask if she would prefer us to ship it all in one piece for an additional $16.

After a week had gone by with no reply, we e-mailed her again, asking the same question, and stating that if we did not hear from her in a couple more days, we would choose the less expensive option and send it as 6 yards each in two envelopes.

Now that she's received both packages, she is upset with us for having sent it in two pieces, plus she's upset for having to pay import fees on two packages instead of one.

Additional pertinent information:
    - we *did* have (and use) her correct e-mail address
    - for international orders our shopping cart calculates shipping based upon the number of flat-rate envelopes needed to hold the yardage purchased
    - it's not possible for us to know what each country charges in the way of import fees and taxes (though we do keep up on this for England and Canada because we have lots of customers there)

What do you think? How should we have handled this? What could we have done better?
    Since she MAY have wanted it all in one piece, I would NOT have shipped it to her until she answered your request as to how to ship it. If she really needed one piece she can't use it the way you shipped it. I think you have an obligation to take it back and absorb all of the costs. Sorry.
    Old 10-14-2010, 06:26 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

The heart of the problem, from my perspective, is that while we tried to contact the customer, she didn't respond (for whatever reason).

I've been mulling over all the suggestions proposed in this thread. Unfortunately, our shopping cart software isn't smart enough to be able to detect a "won't fit in the envelopes" issue. It's able to count how many yards are in an order, and divide by 8 to see how many envelopes are needed, but that's all.

So I'm thinking that what *would* be possible is to put a bit more information on our "international shipping" page. We can't guarantee that the customer would read it, of course (even with a checkbox!) but at least it would all be available.

How about this wording:

"If you order a length of fabric that is more than what will fit into a single envelope, we will e-mail you to ask you if you would prefer that we ship it all in one piece (at an additional charge). If we don't receive a reply within a week, we will cancel that item from your order."

Is this okay, or can anyone suggest an improvement on it?

(If you want to see what we've already included on our "international shipping information" page here's a short link: http://alturl.com/9nz4c As always, if there's anything that you think has been left out or should be added or isn't clear, I'd like to know about it!)
    Old 10-14-2010, 06:46 AM

You were giving her all the info and quite right in your actions. The next time be specific that unless she answers in a set time period her order will be canceled. I have been in a similiar situation and a friend told me that setting boundaries is always the way to go.
    Old 10-14-2010, 06:46 AM

How about something (not sure if your website can do it or not) that requires all international customers to read your policies before they can place their order. I know that I have had to do this for different things that I have done online (ie. setting up my online banking). Just a thought.
    Old 10-14-2010, 07:05 AM

It sounds like you did all that you could have. We all tend to focus on the one or two dissatisified customers but in reality most people are very happy with their purchases...we just don't talk much about them.
    Old 10-14-2010, 07:09 AM

The heart of the problem, from my perspective, is that while we tried to contact the customer, she didn't respond (for whatever reason).

I've been mulling over all the suggestions proposed in this thread. Unfortunately, our shopping cart software isn't smart enough to be able to detect a "won't fit in the envelopes" issue. It's able to count how many yards are in an order, and divide by 8 to see how many envelopes are needed, but that's all.

So I'm thinking that what *would* be possible is to put a bit more information on our "international shipping" page. We can't guarantee that the customer would read it, of course (even with a checkbox!) but at least it would all be available.

How about this wording:

"If you order a length of fabric that is more than what will fit into a single envelope, we will e-mail you to ask you if you would prefer that we ship it all in one piece (at an additional charge). If we don't receive a reply within a week, we will cancel that item from your order."

Is this okay, or can anyone suggest an improvement on it?

(If you want to see what we've already included on our "international shipping information" page here's a short link: http://alturl.com/9nz4c As always, if there's anything that you think has been left out or should be added or isn't clear, I'd like to know about it!)
    Is there any way to add the approximate # of yards that do fit into a single envelope so they have an idea what would fit?