Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Seersucker >
  • Seersucker

• Seersucker

Old 06-05-2010, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by blahel
    well i think if you can unsuck seersucker then shouldnt you also be able to resuck it?? (by washing it)
    Yes.
    I made a formal gown from seersucker (it wasn't puckered and I did not pre-wash it) I then took the left over and made dh a shirt... I washed it AFTER construction....ooopps... it shrank and puckered up so much he couldn't get it on.... double oops.... anyway... long story short... if you are going to us seer sucker prewash first regardless of what it's going to be used as and then press before construction if you don't want to deal with the puckers.
    Old 06-05-2010, 05:11 AM

thread, no, lint, oh, I'm confuzed. :XD:
    Old 06-05-2010, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by aardvarq
    thread, no, lint, oh, I'm confuzed. :XD:
    seersucker is a fabric. that has built-in puckers... used a lot for summer wear.
    usually striped
    Old 06-05-2010, 05:17 AM

I was at a quilting class last Saturday to make a pinwheel quilt. Most folks were making them with 30's reproductions or original feed sacks! But, one lady made hers of beautiful bright seersucker prints and used a non-seersucker white background fabric. It was absolutely gorgeous! The fabrics sewed well and laid flat. If her experience is any indication, you will be happy with the results!
    Blessings
    Old 06-05-2010, 07:47 AM

I have some that I'm planning to use for binding, had thought of using it in a quilt, I think the texture would be good for a kid quilt but wondered about pressing. Now when I get home I'm going to press a piece then wet it and see if it sucks back up.
    Old 06-05-2010, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Leota
    well i think if you can unsuck seersucker then shouldnt you also be able to resuck it?? (by washing it)
    Yes.
    I made a formal gown from seersucker (it wasn't puckered and I did not pre-wash it) I then took the left over and made dh a shirt... I washed it AFTER construction....ooopps... it shrank and puckered up so much he couldn't get it on.... double oops.... anyway... long story short... if you are going to us seer sucker prewash first regardless of what it's going to be used as and then press before construction if you don't want to deal with the puckers.
    OOOHHHHH, thanks for the heads up! I didn't know it would shrink (I'm not normally a pre-washer) but I will pre-wash this! Thanks again!
    Old 06-05-2010, 08:37 PM
    Google Goddess

ha ha
    Old 06-05-2010, 08:38 PM
    Google Goddess

ha ha

Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    Originally Posted by Leota
    Yes.
    OOOHHHHH, thanks for the heads up! I didn't know it would shrink (I'm not normally a pre-washer) but I will pre-wash this! Thanks again!
    Old 06-06-2010, 06:22 AM

DD & I went to JoAnn's a while back & she picked out several Tutti Fruitti fabrics for me to make her uniform tops. She is a nurse. The reason she picked this fabric is because it is made from poly & cotton so she doesn't have to iron it. Her time is limited with 2 jobs & twins. Doesn't need to add ironing to it as well.
    Old 06-06-2010, 06:45 AM

I have a small pile of Tuttifruity fabric and was wondering what to do with it. I may try washing, ironing and re-washing a piece to see what happens.

I would love to make a quilt with my fabrics.