Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Selling on Ebay >
  • Selling on Ebay

• Selling on Ebay

Old 12-19-2010, 07:35 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    while the rule does not provide complete and perfect protection from those who join and maintain their membership only so they can dip their paws into our wallets, it does help.
    I had to laugh at this one because after my wife and kids dip their hands in my wallet I dont have enough for anyone else to go dipping in.......:roll:

But I would rather sell here than eBay, CL, or anywhere else. We are good folks here, I love our community, and if it were not for you all I would not have a booming business with the Vintage sewing machine restorations.

The way I look at it we are all family here and I do not have to worry about is it going to go to a good home, or will it be appreciated and loved.

Billy
    Old 12-19-2010, 07:47 AM
    Power Poster

I started selling my pattern on ebay (but am also selling it on this board). I don't think their prices are that high, and they do provide a widely used forum with good search tools, buyer protection, etc. I just raised the price a bit to compensate for the ebay charges. I use the Buy It Now format, so I don't have to wait for an auction to close. I think there's a legitimate need for different options for selling quilty things. Actually I would never have been in the selling business at all if not for this board. Most people pay me with paypal, but quite a few use personal checks, and I've never received a bad one. I think this speaks well for the members of the board.
    Old 12-19-2010, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
    Originally Posted by cizzors
    You say that you are on the board alot. To become a regular, just go to the Picture section and make a comment or two every time you log on. I did it as a test, (maybe a little bored at the time, also) and within 9 days I was a Regular. It's really pretty simple.

:D :D
    And if enough people do only that, you are sure to prompt a change in the rule that will discount any posts made to the Pictures section. There are ways around almost every rule you run across, but why spend your life looking for the back door? :roll:
    I think this solution might apply to people like me, who log in and read posts here every day (several times a day :)) but who don't often find they have anything helpful to say. As a newer quilter I'm learning like crazy but just don't usually feel confident enough to offer suggestions. Adding comments to pictures is a good way to say "hey, I'm here!" while also contributing positively to the community.
    Old 12-19-2010, 08:58 AM
    Administrator

Originally Posted by JulieR
    I think this solution might apply to people like me, who log in and read posts here every day (several times a day :)) but who don't often find they have anything helpful to say. As a newer quilter I'm learning like crazy but just don't usually feel confident enough to offer suggestions. Adding comments to pictures is a good way to say "hey, I'm here!" while also contributing positively to the community.
    remember ... a title is necessary only if you want to advertise in the classifieds. for everything else you are as regular as anybody else.

that settled, i'll point out a few other things. asking questions has as much value as answering them. AND i'll bet you'd be surprised how often people who are new to quilting come up with fresh perspectives and fantastic ideas. you could have wisdom and insight for which you are not giving yourself any credit. ;-)
    Old 12-19-2010, 09:03 AM
    np3
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by JulieR
    remember ... a title is necessary only if you want to advertise in the classifieds. for everything else you are as regular as anybody else.

that settled, i'll point out a few other things. asking questions has as much value as answering them. AND i'll bet you'd be surprised how often people who are new to quilting come up with fresh perspectives and fantastic ideas. you could have wisdom and insight for which you are not giving yourself any credit. ;-)
    And there are no silly questions, you are just the first to ask it!
    Old 12-19-2010, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Deborah12687
    Originally Posted by Corky
    Is it because of the rules that you have to post 25 times before you can sell? I think it is silly, but I'm not in charge.

Originally Posted by Deborah12687
    Instead of posting my fabric for sale on the quilting board I decided to put my fabric on ebay.
    the rule is our attempt to ensure that the classifieds section is a benefit to genuine, active members who contribute to the information, friendship and fun. we are not a selling site with quilting thrown in as an extra. we are a quilting board with a section in which members can help each other make ends meet by selling/trading their extra fabric and supplies. ;-)

while the rule does not provide complete and perfect protection from those who join and maintain their membership only so they can dip their paws into our wallets, it does help.
    I have been an active poster on the board and I don't understand why I can't post. First thing every morning I am on the board. The last few months I have been very busy with my quilting guess I will have to beef it up a bit. I still plan on posting fabric here as I have a ton of fabric. I am selling fabric only because I wasn't allowed to post it until I was a regular and I do believe I had that standing??? I need to sell my fabric otherwise we are not going to have a Christmas and that is why I am selling on Ebay it wasn't my first choice.
    My heart goes out to you, desperate times makes you go through desperate measures. Sometimes our frustrations get the best of us. I hope that you can sell your fabric and have some income. I think most of us are in the same situation one way or the other. Becoming a regular does not take very long and the best way to do it is to welcome new members, IMHO. Regardless of how you sell your fabric, I hope that it brings some hope for you. God bless.
    Old 12-19-2010, 09:15 AM

Check out the website Yardsellr. There are people on there that sell all sorts of quilting and craft items. I bought some Dresden Plates and was really happy with the service. Just another thought.
    Old 12-19-2010, 09:46 AM

Thank you for the tip about the yard seller.....going to check it out. Have you sold anything on there site?
    Old 12-19-2010, 10:08 AM

There was an earlier thread that kind of explains where Deborah is coming from-payment options in addition to staying "a regular". Don't become discouraged, if you notice most people make a quick comment on pictures and you become and stay a "regular". I hope everything works out and you are able to sell by whatever means you decide to use. Having a number of paying options does enable more people to take advantage of your items but if you can't offer many options I think it would still be worth your time to become "a regular" and post here too. Good luck to you.
    Old 12-19-2010, 10:12 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Another nice way to add posts is just to welcome new members.

After all... who doesn't like to be welcomed? I know when I first joined it made me feel good to read all the welcome messages.