Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Selling Items at a Quilt Show or Crafters Event >
  • Selling Items at a Quilt Show or Crafters Event

• Selling Items at a Quilt Show or Crafters Event

Old 11-15-2017, 08:49 AM

Betty - I think one of the reasons you do well at your faires is that your booth has a very professional look to it! Your table covering fits, the items are placed well, having them wrapped would make them very easy to give as gifts and it shows that extra touch that folks like to see. At a show, this is definitely a booth I would walk over to and spend a great deal of time (and money) at! As someone who has been doing shows for 45 years (helped put me thru college!), I say very nicely done!
    Old 11-15-2017, 09:21 AM
    Power Poster

What betty would not say is how absolutely beautifully crafted her wares are. I mean perfection! I was lucky enough to receive some of them, and girls, I have never seen such glorious work. There may be lots of ladies who could make it, but, not to the level betty does!
    Old 11-15-2017, 11:53 AM

I do small craft shows. Ten years ago I used to sell a few $100 rag quilted jackets that I make. Not any more. Things that are under $10 are about the only things that sell around here now. What I sell most at the shows now are mug rugs. It costs me $1.38 to make and I sell them for $5. They are machine embroidered, not quilted. Because they are $5, gals buy them by the handful. It is not uncommon for ladies to buy 5 or 6 at one time. There is something magical about that $5 price point. Presentation is really important! Cellopand bags for them really make people feel that this is a "package" that they can give away! Go figure. I do still sell a jacket once in a blue moon. Now I basically just do commissioned work for the jacket.

My friend sold empty boxes with the front of a greeting cards glued down on the top for $5. Sold them all. Go figure.
    Old 11-15-2017, 01:20 PM

This is an excellent post. PROMOTE THE MADE LOCALLY SIDE and I would price as if it were being sold at a store to start with. NEVER DEVALUE WOMEN'S WORK by giving it away. Plus, not made in China, so you can tell them exactly what is used to make your pieces.
    Some years ago a friend & I went together and bought the smaller size, Chinese made, "on sale quilt" at a local department store. Our only purpose was to take it apart and see how it was constructed. LORD HAVE MERCY. Poorly made and some years later, we're STILL trying to figure out what they used for batting. We did find some stuff that looked like animal hair, and there was enough of it to tell us that it was put in on purpose. I feel sorry for all the folks who bought them and might be sleeping under RAT HAIR. It was still like a rat.
    Old 11-15-2017, 01:53 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by tuckyquilter
    This is an excellent post. PROMOTE THE MADE LOCALLY SIDE and I would price as if it were being sold at a store to start with. NEVER DEVALUE WOMEN'S WORK by giving it away. Plus, not made in China, so you can tell them exactly what is used to make your pieces.
    Some years ago a friend & I went together and bought the smaller size, Chinese made, "on sale quilt" at a local department store. Our only purpose was to take it apart and see how it was constructed. LORD HAVE MERCY. Poorly made and some years later, we're STILL trying to figure out what they used for batting. We did find some stuff that looked like animal hair, and there was enough of it to tell us that it was put in on purpose. I feel sorry for all the folks who bought them and might be sleeping under RAT HAIR. It was still like a rat.
    I don't think rats have very long hair. lol
    Old 11-15-2017, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
    What betty would not say is how absolutely beautifully crafted her wares are. I mean perfection! I was lucky enough to receive some of them, and girls, I have never seen such glorious work. There may be lots of ladies who could make it, but, not to the level betty does!
    Thank you Sandy, you flatter me. I guess I am just so fortunate that I was blessed with my gifts. It is just the way I do it without making a special effort. I can't sing and I can't paint pictures, those who do have another special gift, everyone I am sure has some sort of special gift.
    Old 11-16-2017, 06:18 AM

I have read the replies and have to say that it has not been true at our Quilt Show. We always have a boutique and have lots of interesting items to sell. Our show is every other year at the end of October. We have Christmas, Halloween and Thanksgiving items. They do well. As do all the quilt magazines and patterns that members donate to be sold.
    Old 11-16-2017, 11:22 AM

shows and bazaars are missing a good market, barn quilts and porch patches

there isn't anything hard about making one except sawing and priming a 3 or 4 sq feet of board
    tracing a big quilt block on it, picking up even more paint...let it dry paint let it dry coat with clear sealer...
    I'd buy one in a minute and pay up to $50.00 for it.