Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Selling quilts? >
  • Selling quilts?

• Selling quilts?

Old 12-24-2015, 07:54 AM

I would like to do a quilters garage sale Memorial Day weekend. We have a shop that I will use. I'm planning to sell quilts, fabric, books and tools. I'd like to add a small area of traditional yard sale items too. I'm going to even buy ads in two local papers plus use the classifieds. I have a friend who did this for several years and did quite well. She had it with several other gals and sold them tables or space to use. I might do that too if I have room.

I know people who sell small items at Christmas bazaars. Joy does very well with potholders, embroidered towels and placemats. She cleared $700 last year.
    Old 12-24-2015, 11:47 AM

ckhowl(sp)--I wish I had read your info just one week ago! Would have helped prep me with a transaction just completed this week. Wish there was a way to print your comments AKA wealth of information.

Last edited by Jo Anne B.; 12-24-2015 at 11:49 AM.
    Old 12-24-2015, 05:42 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Geri B
    So, it appears you have turned a hobby into a business. Yes, it can be done, but then it becomes a whole different thing.....
    I don't really have the stress of my quilting being a job instead of my hobby. I make quilts I want, show them off, people want them, I sell them sometimes, often enough to support my hobby & line my pockets, but, if I go 2-3 months without selling anything its not a big deal.... I'm not trying to support a business. I kept good records ( a quilt journal) before I ever agreed to sell a quilt, so that wasn't a big deal either-- I long arm for people, but not to the extent that it is a job-- or cuts into my joy of creating/ quilting. I am never backlogged, stressed about it, so, No. I haven't turned my hobby into a job I've just found a way to enjoy what I do without it being a financial strain and a way to enjoy some extras in life above and beyond our jobs. Doing what I love to do in my own time.