Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Selvage Savers Savvy >
  • Selvage Savers Savvy

• Selvage Savers Savvy

Old 04-29-2013, 02:36 PM
    Power Poster

lots of fun ideas here! jc-- neat quilt pic!

Old 04-29-2013, 02:43 PM

I see people on here looking for them...so started sticking my in a bin...then every once in a while I give them away...or if I am selling my fabrics I have put them on the list.
    Old 04-29-2013, 07:04 PM

Here are pics of the first selvege quilt I made and a closeup of the quilting I did on it. I used a piece of muslin for the foundation fabric to sew the strips onto. Using them as leaders and enders, eventually, I had enough blocks done for a throw size quilt. Isn't it neat how most of our quilt pictures have 'feet'. :-)
    Attached Thumbnails 2012-1-26-large-.jpg   2012-1-26c-large-.jpg  
    Old 04-29-2013, 09:16 PM
    Power Poster

Very clever setting, SandyinZ4. Adding the nonwhite selvage takes some of the white brightness from block and makes it more interesting. Thanks for sharing.
    Old 04-29-2013, 09:34 PM

I am saving selvages. i am working on a quilt made with them, and also using them in smaller projects like Christmas stockings and pot holders. I like to have them about an inch wide. I can use narrower, but not less than about 3/4" makes them to hard to get sewn down if they are too narrow
    Old 04-29-2013, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by SandyinZ4
    Here are pics of the first selvege quilt I made and a closeup of the quilting I did on it. I used a piece of muslin for the foundation fabric to sew the strips onto. Using them as leaders and enders, eventually, I had enough blocks done for a throw size quilt. Isn't it neat how most of our quilt pictures have 'feet'. :-)
    I love the way this one is set. havent seen that setting before
    Old 04-30-2013, 09:29 AM

Sandy, love that quilt!!!!
    Old 05-01-2013, 07:13 AM

This selvage quilt is my own design. It was my second time of trying QAYG but I did it in sections instead of separate blocks.Still not sure I much care for QAYG..unless it is sew and flip way.
    Old 05-04-2013, 07:02 PM

I save them sometimes and friends have saved them for me too. I started a locker hooked rug using them but I have a long way to go for it to be big enough to use as I don't work on it very often and find that short pieces don't work very well. The other thing I noticed is that a lot of them are white or nearly so that my rug is turning out pretty light colored. I didn't read thru all 10 pages so someone else may have mentioned using them for this purpose too.
    Old 11-06-2013, 04:12 AM

I make quilts out of selvages because that is the material I have been given; you know, "someone's junk is someone else's treasure," sort of thing. I have narrowed the projects down to two different foundations. The first is merely sew right on to the batting. The other is to lay out on fusible interfacing and press on; then sew. This REALY speeds things up! and they sew so nice and crisp looking. The author of this tutorial, http://darlee.ca/Look-No-Pins.html says, "Look, no pins" but I never used pins on any of my selvage sewing; I am not real precise but I like the interfacing method for the neatness and making it more of a production line process for speed. Also, she irons with some open interfacing exposed; I never do this because with the distractions I have, "careful" isn't in my vocabulary! Another thing, seems to me all the selvage quilts on line look alike. . .Probably because I did them, mine seem different and original; maybe because not as much red or maybe it is quilts are like our children and we see them as totally unique and the cutest babies ever!

Here is a link I saw while browsing through the old boards here and would be great for selvages. There is even a freedownloadable pattern/directions! The tutorial is confusing since she uses pink and purple solids for the white in the directions but once you realize that it is a great pattern presentation -- and free! http://annamariahorner.blogspot.com/...-my-field.html