Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Selvage Savers Savvy >
  • Selvage Savers Savvy

• Selvage Savers Savvy

Old 04-27-2013, 01:56 PM

I save them and use them in my flower beds and garden to tie up plants... But I have seen lots of cute things made from them....
    Old 04-27-2013, 02:03 PM

I'm not an SS (hee hee). I don't because A) I don't plan to use them for anything (although some of the uses in the gardening genre interest me) and B) I RARELY make long cuts - so my salveges are often too small to be of any use (long enough to tie tomato's though ... hmmmm), and C) I have enough work keeping track of my tools, my stash and my scraps ... yet another "container" of something would send me into a fit of some kind.
    Old 04-27-2013, 02:21 PM

Okay, I have saved them and everyone in my groups and family know that I do that. I use them on Birthday presents, Christmas presents etc. They are pretty, easy to tie, and everyone knows who that present came from. Also, lots of time the DH needs "string" to tie things in the yard or the garage and always knows he can find that "string" in the "selvege (quilters salvege) basket".
    Old 04-27-2013, 02:29 PM
    Power Poster

I save them because I love them... all the possibilities with their neat, finished edge and lineup of cool color spots! That being said, I haven't done anything with mine yet, but I hope to make some cute pincushions and Christmas ornaments with them. I just can't toss them anymore... now that I know what they can be used for!
    Old 04-27-2013, 02:53 PM
    Power Poster

I will never make a quilt using selvages but I have seen some beautiful work with them.

I use them to tie up bundles of fabric that go to future projects. It all stays together that way.
    peace
    Old 04-27-2013, 03:06 PM

I only save long lengths of salvages. I figure one day maybe someone would be willing to make a 'donation' for them and I could use the money for the charitable quilts I help with.

Nan
    Old 04-27-2013, 03:12 PM

I've just started saving selvages for a project I would like to make...hope it's not impolite to ask, but if anyone has any that they would be willing to share it would make me ever so happy. (send me a pm ....I am definitely willing to pay postage) Thanks!
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
    Old 04-27-2013, 03:37 PM

Sorry, I don't save the selvages - I have more than enough fabric to work with so really don't want to obsess out little tiny scraps!
    Old 04-27-2013, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    I'm not an SS (hee hee). I don't because A) I don't plan to use them for anything (although some of the uses in the gardening genre interest me) and B) I RARELY make long cuts - so my salveges are often too small to be of any use (long enough to tie tomato's though ... hmmmm), and C) I have enough work keeping track of my tools, my stash and my scraps ... yet another "container" of something would send me into a fit of some kind.
    QuiltE - DogHouseMom said exactly what I was thinking, I would have to take over another room if I saved selvedges But if you want some I will keep them for you, just let me know
    Old 04-27-2013, 03:50 PM

I just finished 24 needlebooks, 4 table thread holder bags with pincushion, and 12 bookmarks from some selvages given to me. I have a huge black garbage bag full. Love to make fabric from them and then use it for other things. I plan on a vest and matching bag next.