Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sending your quilt to a LAQ >
  • Sending your quilt to a LAQ

• Sending your quilt to a LAQ

Old 03-14-2014, 11:09 AM

I've been LAing for others for over 10 years now. I used to 'save' time slots for people. But I can't tell you the number of times they didn't get me the top when they said they would (or ever, in some cases!). Meanwhile I had told other customers that I couldn't do their quilt until X weeks later, because I had all these quilts 'penciled in' on my schedule. Then I was sitting there with no quilts to do and no way to pay my bills.

I no longer put a quilt on the schedule until it's in my shop. My customers know if they have a quilt with a deadline (such as baby, wedding, graduation, etc.) I will do my best to get it done in time, as long as they get it to me in a reasonable time frame (no, you can't bring it to me the day before you need it! It normally takes 9 months to make a baby, 18 years to graduate from HS, etc. so you can't tell me you just found out about this last week! )

They also know that if they DON'T need it by a certain date, I may push theirs out a little further so I can get the other time sensitive ones done. Does this work for every customer? Of course not. But the ones who like my work keep coming back (I have several customers bring me 10 or more quilts each year for the last 8 - 10 years!), so it must work for some of them. I've built my reputation on producing a quality product, so most of my customers are willing to wait for me to take my time with each quilt and do the best job I can on each of them.

It reminds me of something I read on a wall of a business once that went something like this:
    It can be done good and fast, but it won't be cheap
    It can be done cheap and good, but it won't be fast
    It can be done fast and cheap, but it won't be good

Andi
    Old 03-14-2014, 01:36 PM

I've waited much longer for quilting to be done. It has not bothered me because it was not a gift, nor did I need it for a specific reason. When I must have it by a certain time I make sure she knows that beforehand.

That being said, one time I foolishly left a quilt for an estimate... Waited patiently for her to get back to me, and when she did the quilt was quilted and I had a bill that was 3 times what my guesstimate was! No estimate, no discussion on what I wanted, nothing. To say the least I was very upset. When I asked why she had not given me the estimate before continuing she said she had time so just did it! I learned not to trust a new person until I know how they do things. I don't mean to be badmouthing quilters, most are great. Just proceed slowly until you get to know her and she knows you! Go ahead and call if you,re uncomfortable.
    Old 03-14-2014, 04:48 PM

I am a longarmer and I understand that ppl do get behind, that being said she should give you a turn around time when you take the quilt to her. You need to have a written agreement. I would be looking for a new longarmer. Before I started longarm quilting I sent one to a longarmer and after she had had it a month I called and asked if it was done and she told me it would be several more weeks before she could get to it. I went and got the quilt and had someone else do it.. your time is just as valuable as the longarmer.. Unless you just can't find someone that you like to do your quilting, then her and I would have to have a serious discussion about a turnaround time.
    Old 03-14-2014, 06:19 PM

The better quilters have a long list and their work is worth waiting for. When I'm making a quilt for a gift and there is a deadline, I reserve my spot and communicate my deadlines ahead of time. My LAQ tells me the date that she's ready for it in her line of other quilts. That gives me extra time to work on it and when I give it to her, she's ready to get started on it. Sometimes I reserve my spot 3-4 months in advance. I have also started using a long arm to do my own projects--- we have a dealership that teaches you how to use the machines and then you rent time and do the work yourself (with help from the staff). It's a great feeling to do the project start to finish!