Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Separating at the seams >
  • Separating at the seams

• Separating at the seams

Old 02-17-2017, 11:15 AM

I am always paranoid about stitch separation. Started topstitching over seams..time killer though.
    Old 02-17-2017, 12:08 PM

Also, check your tension. I just finished fixing 2 quilts that came into Project Linus. They had not even been washed, but the seams showed loose stitches due to uneven tension. One little pull on the right thread, and the whole seam would be history.
    Old 02-17-2017, 01:16 PM
    Power Poster

How far apart are your quilting lines? The farther apart the quilting lines, the more stress is put on seams.

Also, your machine may not be giving you a balanced stitch. If you can pull out the bobbin thread easily, you tensions are not set properly.
    Old 02-17-2017, 01:42 PM

I am soooo old school that I soak my quilts in the bath tub with some quilt soap, rinse twice and drain in a plastic laundry basket..dry outside on a sunny day, with the backing side up..Of course this is a hand quilted queen quilt.
    After 7 years she still looks very good .

As for some of my most used quilts I have not had any breaks in the seams.
    I think it has to do with the stitch length,fabric weave and shrinkage of the fabric and a true 1/4 inch stitch.
    Old 02-17-2017, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    What stitch length are you using? You may need to shorten it. Also, this can happen if it has not been quilted closely enough. Although some battings say you can quilt up to 10 inches apart, quilting closer will yield a sturdier quilt. Also, the quilting distance should be measured in all directions, including the diagonal. Finally many folks wash the completed quilt before gifting. Better that a seam pops & you can fix it before gifting.
    I watched a video by National Quilters Circle (Helen Thomas) and she basically repeated what you are saying. The closer the quilting, the better chance for longevity in a quilt, even if the package says more space is allowed between quilting.
    Old 02-17-2017, 03:57 PM

Great suggestions everyone! My tension and stitch length seem to match up with what you all are recommending, but I think my quilting definitely needs to be closer together. I'll take this all into consideration with my next project!
    Old 02-18-2017, 06:56 AM

What kind of thread are you using? I used rayon thread for 1 quilt. I pressed my seams and they looked gorgeous. When I tried to move the top from the ironing board it started coming apart at the seams. Rayon does not like the heat required for cottons.
    Old 02-18-2017, 07:11 AM
    Power Poster

It's frown upon but I still do this: I want a teeny smidgen of the underneath fabric to show when I'm sewing a seam. It's better then having a pulled seam down the road.
    Old 02-18-2017, 07:26 AM

If I'm pressing a seam open, I use 1.6mm stitch length. If I'm pressing it to one side, I use 2mm stitch length.
    I definitely agree with all those who've suggested stitching in the ditch & quilting closer together -- if it's going to be a bed quilt, I wouldn't recommend quilting farther than 2" apart.

The other thing to consider is how you're laundering it. A queen-sized quilt will get damaged in a top-loading home washing machine. The center agitator will pull on it too much, snapping stitches at any weak points. I take mine to the laundromat to wash in a commercial front-loading machine. In between washes, I vacuum it with a piece of hosiery over the end of the hose. Also, make sure to never use fabric softener -- especially liquid fabric softener -- as it will damage cotton (including cotton thread).

Finally, I personally love, love, love 100% cotton quilts, but quality polyester thread might help your seams. It is less prone to breaking than cotton. Otherwise, be sure to use a good cotton thread. My personal favorite is Aurifil 50/2, but Gutermann 50wt thread is also very good & is available at JAF.
    Old 02-18-2017, 07:48 AM

I just wanted to say Welcome to the board and hope some of the responses help you out.